Early 2011 Good?

Trent Howell

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015
Hey I have come here to ask if the early 2011 Macbook is worth it for $350. It has 4gb of ram and is in good condition. I am buying of Craigslist and wanted to know if this will be good to have for 3 years for web browsing and a couple of other low priority things. Does it still do a fast job at running those things? I currently have a HP Pavilion Laptop that is slow but it does the job if you are patient enough. Worth the upgrade or save my money? (Note I am a broke high school student so I. can't just spend $ constantly so it's kind of a big buy)

Robert Cook

Honorable
Herald
Dec 15, 2014
that would seem to be a good deal for a macbook, but for $350 you can get a more solid laptop that is new. have you tried reinstalling the OS or upgrading the RAM on the pavilion? that can really help.

Trent Howell

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015
tbh I am kinda sick of Windows laptops. They slow down so quickly and I want something that looks good and is new. Which is a Mac. I just want to make sure 2011 Macbook Pros aren't slowing down or will be in the next 2 years is what I want to know.

Robert Cook

Honorable
Herald
Dec 15, 2014
well it will run OSX sierra, and those things auto clean up the OS, so yes they do not slow down, but if you reinstall windows every six months you would find it does not slow either. your call, as I said that seems to be a pretty decent deal.

You didn't say what processor. I don't think Apple sells anything less than an i5 and am not absolutely sure.

I have a 2011 Air i5/4GB and is till OK for browsing but I do notice it's not as smooth as when it was new. Can it last another 3 years, nobody knows, ask web developers whether they intend to make thing still more complicated and still require more horsepower to browse their stuff. Answer most likely yes.

But, used laptop, you should probably budget for a new battery, so re-calc and see if you still wanna do it.

If this is a Core Duo, fergitaboutit.