Eidos: No Posting Review Scores of Tomb Raider Underworld

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
lol @ phayl

any1 buy this game? i never really got into tomb raider.. but yeah, eidos should feel stupid about this, the people who check reviews of games most likely would discover this news, and it would STILL hinder their purchase

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
What they are asking makes no sense to be honest. Reviews of games are suppose to be a helpful way of choosing what games to buy to avoid wasting money on a bad game. If the review isn't given before or even at least with the release of the game then whats the point?

The fact that Eidos is even asking such a thing even more so only requesting bad scores to hold off just shows that they have no confidence in the game and if they don't then why should we?

I've been thinking for years now that maybe I should start my one game review site that is 100% honest but the problem is even if I become popular and trusted I doubt any company would give me a copy to review a game in fear that I may give it a low score. Causing me to have to buy every single game myself and have late reviews. Which would certainly make it all end in failure. It seems that honesty and game reviews just don't mix anymore. While someone like Yahtzee is both popular and honest his reviews are late and doubtfully ever stop the sales of horrible games. His success comes from his humor which The Escapist uses for popularity. Basically he makes us laugh at the games we already bought...

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I'm confused as to what Eidos was thinking. If people look to reviews to make their decision about buying a game, won't they wait till the reviews come out? If people were planning to buy a game the weekend it comes out, then they obviously didn't care what the reviews might have said. I mean, were people waiting in line for the game, but also chekcing websites on their phones to see the reviews? "Oh man, I've been in line 4 hours, but oh, whats this, GamerReviews.org gave it a 79? Well hell, guess I should just go home." Back when I actually read game reviews, it was in magazines like PCGamer, now how delayed were those?

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I clicked the link to the source in the article and it seems like this is just a random person asking this. Where does the original request state that this is the official position of Eidos?

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Actually hellwig many of those reviews from PCGamer were before the game was released. They would get reviewer copies of the game. I recall that very magazine being upset when they weren't allowed to review Doom 3 ahead of time (the excuse was piracy concerns but I think we all know what the real reason is) This caused their review to be a month late.

Status
Not open for further replies.