Electric Hummer 2X More Efficient than Toyota Prius

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

radguy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
I think the hummer was a bad choice to extend the volts drive train too. Its taken too much of a bad rap and I think one of their mainstream cars might have been a better choice. Even a tahoe would have been.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
It's hard to believe that a hummer will get 100MPG. BUT on the other hand Tesla roadster gets about 200MPG and only uses gas to charge the batteries not to make the car go.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
[citation][nom]NeBuN[/nom]american car companies suck balls, just look at the crap they put out. the cars they put out are nothing but eye candy.[/citation]

You call that house on wheels eye candy. It doesn't even look good if you ask me. You want eye candy look elsewhere.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]OilConspiracyFanboy[/nom]They cripple the fuel economy on all vehicles now, then they put out talking points like: "well, the new safety features add weight" for the idiots to repeat to each other. The my car weighs twice as much as a SmartCar, and has 2.5x the engine displacement. My car gets 30mpg, the SmartCar gets 40, how the f*ck did they manage to make it get such crappy gas mileage for it's size? It's smaller than a Geo Metro that gets 60mpg, and has a more modern engine with multi-port fuel injection, etc... Anybody who doesn't believe there's a conspiracy is a kook...[/citation]
Conspiracy no, but misleading product, yes. I was at the NAIAS and let the Smart Car guys have a piece of my mind in regards to the fact that the the SC fails in just about everything it claims to do well in, other than fitting in small parking spaces. 40MPG in a car that size is pathetic. I'd rather get a full sized car @ 30MPG that is safer and cheaper to repair.

G

The world can't keep up with all the Lythium demand if everyone will be driving this car!
Don't forget, that electric powered does not always mean green! If the electricity comes from solar panels, wind turbines, or generators driven by water motion, the power would be green indeed. If the electricity is generated by coal, you're far from using green energy.
Charging your car with electricity saves you 90% of the cost of Gas. Meaning most of us will end up paying around $150 per year on electricity, instead of $600 per year on gas.

But the purchase of a vehicle like this go from $50.000 or more.
After 4 to 6 years you need to buy a new battery if you use it lots, and the battery is probably the most expensive part of the car.
For this price you're better off with a toyota Yaris or a corolla. Even a prius don't get payed back over time. You'll need to have it at least 10 years to start making some profit with those cars.
If the difference was less than $5.000 compared to a regular car, people might start thinking.

G

Inaccurate picture... the H3 is a compact SUV (between an Escape and a Liberty), but the picture shows an H2 next to a Prius. The H2 is a much heavier vehicle (Tahoe-based). A gas H2 might get 8-10mpg, while an H3 with the base 5-cylinder engine will get 20+.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I really wish the automotive industry would stop giving excuses to the people that drive these monstrosities. I wish GM would attach a dead baby seal to the front bumper of these, just so people would stop driving them. And looking at GM's track record of bad marketing decisions and overall economic failure, that just might happen.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]It's hard to believe that a hummer will get 100MPG. BUT on the other hand Tesla roadster gets about 200MPG and only uses gas to charge the batteries not to make the car go.[/citation]

The Tesla Roadster (both Tesla models, for that matter) are 100% electric, they have no gas engines. You might be thinking of the Volt, but even then the 200mpg thing is inaccurate.

joshwood123

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
[citation][nom]ktasley[/nom]Fantastic comment at the end, considering the production means.A current version Hummer is actually more environmentally friendly to produce than a Prius because of the by products of the the production and disposal of Lithium-ion tech. So it would seem this new environmental Hummer would be worse than the old one.+the double mileage of the Prius is a marketing hype. At its top efficiency it only goes 40 miles? That's unrealistic for even commuting.[/citation]

You sir, are not an idiot!
=) everyone needs to research why the prius is worse for the earth when compared to a Hummer. not to mention how many people die every year in accidents in those little tin cans!

[citation][nom]bradalan1[/nom]Military grade, NOT. The H1 is military grade. The H2 is basically a Chevy Tahoe with a different body, and the H3 is basically a Chevy TrailBlazer again with a body change.[/citation]

The H1 isnt military grade, it weighs 2000lbs more than a military hummer, and is full of crap it doesnt need.
the military doesn't need a car full of shit, the need something that runs good and offers some protection, not dvd players and whatnot

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]AlexTheBlue[/nom]It doesn't work that way. The engine doesn't charge the batteries. That wouldn't make sense, since you'd be burning additional gasoline to charge the batteries up.[/citation]
No, no you wouldn't.

Normal cars waste quite a bit of energy slowing down, when that energy could be stored into a battery. Rather than brake pads, a gear could be used attached to a generator.

[citation][nom]joshwood123[/nom]You sir, are not an idiot!=) everyone needs to research why the prius is worse for the earth when compared to a Hummer. not to mention how many people die every year in accidents in those little tin cans![/citation]
You know a lot of accidents where people are seriously hurt are caused by SUVs because their bumper is higher than the bumpers of other cars, which can cause serious harm to everyone but they people driving them.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
@ktasely:

That "report" that said the hummer was more enviromentally friendly than the Prius was an unsourced, uncited report that used the following methodoligy:
The Prius batteries needed replaced every 100,000 miles (not so, look at the Prius warranty), the Prius would be scrapped at 132,000 miles, and that it only got 28 mpg.
The Hummer would last 500,000 miles and get 15 mpg.

The report is BS. Look it up on Slate.

G

So if they were to slap that Electric Hummer drivetrane into a more reasonable sized vehicle that weighs half as much, what kind of mileage/all-electric-range are we talking about? Or do larger vehicles inherently get better mileage, against all logic, reason and laws of physics?

option350z

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]NeBuN[/nom]american car companies suck balls, just look at the crap they put out. the cars they put out are nothing but eye candy.[/citation]

Same with the others as you see. Lamborghini's are shit because of the trannies same with Honda. VW chassis are made of recycled metal in mexico. Bosch electronics in Mercs are crap. So in theory all cars suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS