"Electrical leakage" on Asus N53SV

urbanium

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Hi all,

I just bought a Asus N53SV (model version N53SV-SZ589V to be precise) and I noticed something rather annoying: whenever the laptop is plugged into the wall outlet and I touch the case (back of the screen), or any metal part of it (around the mousepad), I have this buzzing/vibrating sensation going through my hand.

It is not due to the vibration of internal component but clearly from the electricity since it stops when I unplug it and also only happens when touching the metal parts. It is strong enough for my girlfriend to feel it while touching my skin while I have my hand on the laptop.

One interesting thing I noticed is that this stops if I use a grounded outlet. The problem is that I only have 1 such outlet in my house. (old-ish european apartment)

I know Tom's Hardware isnt specialized in electricity matters but maybe someone knows or maybe someone experienced something similar.

Does this present a health hazard?

Can it damage the computer overtime?

I'm thinking to return the laptop now, it's a shame because I really like it. However, I have the impression that this is not limited to this laptop only, maybe even any laptop with metallic surface would have the same problem?

Thank you!

danielpolo

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Hi urbanium.
I have the same problem with that laptop. I'm going to call the tech service to see what they say about it.

unfortunately i couldn't find more info about this in other websites

urbanium

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Hi Danielpolo

That thread is a bit old. I returned the laptop shortly after my initial post. It visually had to do both with the laptop and the electrical outlets in my flat. I don't think changing the laptop for a similar one would have changed anything. I have a friend who has the exact same issue with a Macbook pro (the one with the aluminium cover). Seems like non-grounded outlets + metal cases (of certain model) creates this electrical leakage feeling. It's partly bad engineering as I think it really should not do that. I changed my laptop for a model made of plastic instead of metal to get rid of that annoying problem.

I hope you find a solution!
All the best,

Urbanium