Solved! Elitebook 9470m sooo slow

Nov 9, 2020
Suddenly my elitebook 9470m core i5 (windows 8.1) has become so slow I cant figure out why? Following are some steps that I have tried but utterly failed
*deleted temp files
*uninstalled heavy or unwanted softwares
*disabled startup unnecessary softwares
*updated windows
*optimized drive (disk deframent)
*scanned for malware or virus
According to task manager utilisation is 5% to 10%. And RAM used is almost 50%. Please help me out

Solution
That makes me suspect there is power settings issue. Find the advanced power settings (takes a little digging around) and look at the processor state setting when on external power. There is an option to throttle the processor speed independently for battery vs external. Maybe......
Gosh, you've pretty well covered the bases. A few other things you may try:
  • Run a couple of off-line virus scanners. If something has infected the "root" you may find it this way.
  • Run the window Disk Cleaner (Explorer, right click on C: and select properties then click disk cleanup). Do the system clean and select everything.
  • Sometimes a cleaner such as CCLEANER can help. I let it delete everything in Custom Clean but note that you will lose some settings so be careful if you care about those. I'm a little nervous about the registry cleaner so you may want to avoid using that.
  • Run SFC /scannow from a privileged cmd window.
  • Run the HP diagnostics. Run the long test over night.
  • Do a clean windows reinstall (this will wipe out all your files and installed programs). I would suggest updating to Win 10 at the same time. You may like it better (I do). This step is a lot of work as reinstalling everything is no fun. I would run Belarc Advisor first to capture the various software keys just in case.
Good luck. If something works, please let us know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tarique067
Nov 9, 2020
  • Run a couple of off-line virus scanners. If something has infected the "root" you may find it this way.
  • Run the window Disk Cleaner (Explorer, right click on C: and select properties then click disk cleanup). Do the system clean and select everything.
  • Sometimes a cleaner such as CCLEANER can help. I let it delete everything in Custom Clean but note that you will lose some settings so be careful if you care about those. I'm a little nervous about the registry cleaner so you may want to avoid using that.
  • Do a clean windows reinstall (this will wipe out all your files and installed programs). I would suggest updating to Win 10 at the same time. You may like it better (I do). This step is a lot of work as reinstalling everything is no fun. I would run Belarc Advisor first to capture the various software keys just in case.
Ok, I will

4GB RAM is pretty marginal. If you run more than a few programs at a time, you will notice an improvement by going to 8GB. You will notice a significant speedup installing an SSD. Neither of these would explain a sudden loss of speed as you noted. However, they are nice future improvements.

Nov 9, 2020
I followed all your steps (just not reinstalling windows) but nothing worked.
Now there are some issues with my laptop's battery so almost everytime had to plug in adapter whenever I use laptop, but today accidentally I plugged it out and guess what!!! Laptop was working great again 😘 and the main culprit is AC ADAPTER and it took a whole week to find out that mystery I was about to call sherlock, phewwww Thanks guys for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
That makes me suspect there is power settings issue. Find the advanced power settings (takes a little digging around) and look at the processor state setting when on external power. There is an option to throttle the processor speed independently for battery vs external. Maybe......

Reactions: Tarique067
Solution