Solved! Emachine wont boot after memory upgrade

jijiandfarmgang

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
I have an old m5310 laptop

There are two spots for memory one on the back and one underneath the keyboard.

I replaced the memory underneath the keyboard and now it wont boot. I tried installing the old memory again and it does the same thing.
The power light turns on and the cpu fan turns for less then a second then the processor just heats up and it does nothing
I tried unpluggin the battery and power supply and turning it on, and removing the bios battery......still does the same thing. any help?

Solution
Sometimes machines are very finicky about their memory.

Did you return the machine to it's original state, and it didn't boot? Why not just install your new module in the slot on the bottom of the machine? Are you sure you aren't reaching the memory limit on your machine?

If you returned it to it's original state and you had no POST, try stripping the machine down to just a board, CPU, heatsink, the factory memory, and an external monitor. Try and get it to boot then.

jijiandfarmgang

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
It is attached in a slot the same as any other laptop I have seen.

I removed the screen, keyboard, and upper plastic housing.

It's hard to access, but that doesn't mean it can't be replaced.

It's not the procedure for a RAM upgrade shown in the Users Guide.
You're tried all the usual troubleshooting steps I could have suggested.

Do you know of any Acer/Gateway/eMachine support forums?
Try and find someone with specific knowledge of what's up with that model.

frozenlead

Distinguished
Sometimes machines are very finicky about their memory.

Did you return the machine to it's original state, and it didn't boot? Why not just install your new module in the slot on the bottom of the machine? Are you sure you aren't reaching the memory limit on your machine?

If you returned it to it's original state and you had no POST, try stripping the machine down to just a board, CPU, heatsink, the factory memory, and an external monitor. Try and get it to boot then.

Solution