Emergency LTE data on Verizon?

ever0095

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I’ve been searching for this over the last couple years with no luck. The goal: backup access to LTE data on the Verizon network (or possibly AT&T), used very infrequently (once every few months).

Example: I’m heading to the Black Hills National Forest in June, will be there for a week. My cell (on TMO) is unlikely to get service, but Verizon’s reported to work well.

I’d love to throw a Verizon Jetpack in my glove box, activate it when needed, refill data when needed, and not worry about topping it up all the time or paying $40/month for something I rarely use. I’ve found options that are close to what I want via MVNOs on the Sprint and Tmobile networks, but those would rarely cover the rural areas where I’d need backup LTE.

If there was a prepaid card for $100 with 2 GB of data that didn’t expire, I’d buy it in a heartbeat. What’s my best option?

Solution
I don't know of any budget carrier that has support for tethering or using their service in a cell modem. You can use some apps to get tethering over USB to work on those phones, but I never tried it and it is against their terms of service.

ever0095

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I've found options outside of verizon (e.g. tracfone) that are closer to my target. Looking for the best option out there, and it isn't through verizon directly.

I've seen recommendations for a QVC or HSN bundle, e.g. 1500 mb would last 1 year on a J3 luna pro. That might solve my problem if I could tether to it somehow. I assume I cannot just take that sim and pop it into a Jetpack.

I don't know of any budget carrier that has support for tethering or using their service in a cell modem. You can use some apps to get tethering over USB to work on those phones, but I never tried it and it is against their terms of service.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS