Enclosure to use M2 and SATA SSD?

shinyknight

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Hi, I have a surplus of SSD from my previous computers (2x128 GB M2 from my laptop, a 128 GB SATA3 SSD and a 500 GB SSD ); which I wold like to use , but sadly my laptop does not have space for any other drive, since it has only 2 M.2 slots and 1 SATA3 slot, which is already occupied by a 500 GB SSD.

Since I have a free Thundebolt 3, I was thinking to get an enclosure to chain all these drives together so they show up as a single drive on my windows machine; although it seems that either you get a SATA enclosure, which mean to get adapters for the M2 drives, or single M2 enclosures; which means I can't plug them all since I only have 1 thunderbolt 3 port and all my USB are already maxed out .

Is it worth to get a SATA enclosure and use adapters for the M2 drives? I am aware that I won't get the M2 performances anyway, since the drives will work with AHCI probably via Thunderbolt 3 port. I am doing it mostly because I have no use of these drives and they are not even worth to go on ebay.

shinyknight

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013

Thanks, although this is for 1 M2 drive, right?

shinyknight

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
I think at this point it is faster to get an old case, populate it with drives and add an old mobo to control them; so I get a NAS basically, always connected on.

I thought there were solutions to put together drives with different connectors,as external enclosure but it is quite a hassle to do so. I should still have an old i5 based mobo from 2012 that I can re-purpose as storage machine in my office.