Encryption Saves Peeping Tom From Jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaira

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
have you ever met a paranoid person, this is a prime example, if the world is out to get you, you try to find out what the world is up to, its not like the cameras were in the bathrooms alone, remember "Mad Money" the bathroom is the perfect place to conspire, the dude is not a perv, more power to him.

zmanz

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Keyword: defense attorney. Lawyers are too screwed up to realize what is right and what is wrong, thus being an enabler to dangerous people such as this Wyllie (whose name I chuckled at.)

G

I'm going to encrypt everything from now on ,just to be safe.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
[citation][nom]LePhuronn[/nom]It's just perfect his name is Wyllie (assuming the y is pronounced as an I of course)[/citation]

"Super Genius"

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]mil22as[/nom]I'm going to encrypt everything from now on ,just to be safe.[/citation]

Encryption was only part of it. The real thing that saved this guy is that the cameras were NOT connected to the pc when they found it. If they would have found the cameras connected then they would have probably charged him no matter what, encryption or not. With no connections to the camera, the prosecution would have a hard time proving that the perv was using the hardware to record anything...even though common sense would tell you he has terabytes of showering and pooping videos.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]waxdart[/nom]In the UK he would have been banged up for not handing over the keys![/citation]
If you're savvy enough to encrypt your harddrive, then I suspect a criminal in the UK would simply use Truecrypt's hidden encrypted volume feature. That way, he could give the police one key, after putting on a good show of refusing to comply, and they would still have nothing to charge him with.

In the U.S., they are still debating the legality of trying to force someone to give up an encryption passphrase. The 5th Amendment of our Constitution provides, among other things, protection against self-incrimination. Defense attorneys have taken the position that the contents of someones own mind, to include encryption passphrases, are thus protected. While I hate to see criminals get away with things. From a privacy standpoint, I believe this is a correct interpretation of the law.

G

@Jellico

I agree, however I take it one step further. I don't even know my own passwords, so even if I was beaten/given some type of truth syrum I still couldn't tell them anything. How is this done? ...maybe I shouldn't say ;)
P.S. my passphrases are about 31 characters long

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
lol true crypt is some really amazing tech. And it would take a super computer to crack the encryption, and the AUS police don't have much access to those for these lesser crimes.

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
[citation][nom]Ominous Prime[/nom]lol true crypt is some really amazing tech. And it would take a super computer to crack the encryption, and the AUS police don't have much access to those for these lesser crimes.[/citation]
I was thinking the same thing too...What do those little piggy's know about Hacking into files.Sucks the dude go off Scott free though

smokinu

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
[citation][nom]andesdhdfbdf[/nom]@JellicoI agree, however I take it one step further. I don't even know my own passwords, so even if I was beaten/given some type of truth syrum I still couldn't tell them anything. How is this done? ...maybe I shouldn't say P.S. my passphrases are about 31 characters long[/citation]

The problem with this is if you dont even know your own passphrase then you must have it written down somewhere :) So either way the phrase is still available if the proper buttons are pushed.

obsidian86

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
there is something new coming i dunno exact details but its said to encrypt any data 24/7 365 to infinity even with power off it just starts up where it left off

Status
Not open for further replies.