Entry-level video editing - Intel HD Graphics 520 or Radeon R7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
I have two options:

1) i7-6500U (2.5GHz) with Intel HD Graphics 520

2) AMD FX-8800P (2.1 GHz), with Radeon R8 M350DX graphics (actually R5 M330 with R7 in cross-fire = R8 apparently)

So, I can either go with the more powerful Intel processor and have to rely on the integrated HD Graphics 520 (with draws up to 1.7GB of RAM from the system's RAM), or I can go with the supposedly weaker AMD processor (though it's their latest one) and the dedicated graphics card. I'm just not sure which to choose, so if you have any feedback that would be much appreciated thanks! D

Solution

Spectre694

Estimable
Feb 28, 2014
The 6500U is a fair bit more powerful than the 8800P CPU wise It falls between the 6300 and 6500 parts.

Neither GPU is supported by adobe (different program might be a different story) but can be manually added in. Since the GPU only accelerates certain tasks [less with both GPU's only supporting OpenCL] the CPU is far more important and you should go with the Intel one.

On the other hand both are going to suck for editing as they are both low power (15W TDP) laptop parts.

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks Spectre694!

Ok so basically both systems have not so great graphics/GPU, so go with the best processor/CPU then right? (i.e. Intel) :) Is the R7 graphics similar to Intel HD Graphics 520 anyway? The only reason I would choose the AMD option/system is because it has the dedicated graphics, but if the dedicated graphics aren't much better than the Intel HD 520 then it's easy to pick the Intel system.

What difference does the low power (15W TDP) make?
Thanks!

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
P.S. The most demanding thing I will be doing is some video editing (entry-level with Sony Movie Studio or Cyberlink PowerDirector, and perhaps upgrade to more advanced software later), otherwise just web browsing, emails and watching vids on youtube, (no gaming). Thanks!

Spectre694

Estimable
Feb 28, 2014

Sorta. It is a bit more complicated than that. The GPU is used as an accelerator card to speed up certain tasks and the exact ones are dependent on the program. Things like encoding are done 100% on the CPU whereas the GPU does things like scaling etc.

You've actually got a weird comparison [relative] here a good CPU with weak GPU (Intel) and a weak CPU with a strong GPU (AMD) Neither of which are well balanced for video editing combined with a very low TDP of 15W (laptops are already bad at editing) it may not even matter. You may simply just be thermal throttling the CPU the entire time anyway.

Both Intels U and AMDs P suffixes denote low power CPU's which equals low performance.

A better build would be a non U intel (even a gen or two older) paired with a low-mid end Nvidia dGPU

general rule of thumb for video editing is CPU>RAM>GPU>storage

Spectre694

Estimable
Feb 28, 2014

Both of those have GPU requirements that vary between versions and even with the same version. You can't really plan GPU;s for them.

The main ones like Sony Vegas and Adobe Premier (has better support) target CUDA and then OpenCL

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

So for example with Sony Movie Studio 13, it says as a minimum:

--512 MB GPU memory
--Supported NVIDIA, AMD or Intel GPU
--Intel - Requires an OpenCL-enabled GPU such as HD Graphics 4000 (HD 520 is above this)

So from what I understand, the Intel HD Graphics 520 draws it memory from the system's RAM (up to 1.7GB), so that should cover the 512MB of GPU memory right?
Thanks!

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks Spectre!
Is the AMD CPU weak though? I thought it was their latest model and rival to the i7?
I guess with the thermal throttling, the Intel CPU would be better then as that runs cooler and requires less power?
Ok, so both systems are not ideal (but I'm on a tight budget), however which one would be the best of the two? :)
I'll also look for the better build you mentioned but from what I've seen so far it raises the price quite a bit beyond my budget to get those specs.
Thanks!

Spectre694

Estimable
Feb 28, 2014

That is correct

Spectre694

Estimable
Feb 28, 2014

It is AMD hasn't been competitive (on CPU. GPU is different they do well there) for years now. Their top end CPU's tend to compete with pentiums and i3's. In that benchmark I linked you will see the 8800P doing between 1/3 and 1/2 of the performance of the i5-6300U(your linked CPU should be a hair faster).

If I had to choose between the two my choice would be the Intel build for editing.

Solution

donline

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks Spectre, you've been really helpful :)
I'll go with the Intel unless I find another option within my budget.
Have a great weekend

Spectre694

Estimable
Feb 28, 2014

Not a problem good luck and you too.

Status
Not open for further replies.