Epic: Ureal Engine 4 Not Until ''Next Gen''

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
[citation][nom]ghazgull[/nom]I think over the last 3 weeks, 1 in 3 Toms articles have had typos somewhereI hope this changes[/citation]
And if you look at the author, 4/5 of those are all the same person. Occasional typos are understandable, but this guy doesn't even make an effort.

G

[citation][nom]tony_wilson[/nom]El O El wrong place dude![/citation]

what in the world is that supposed to mean. try using real words next time

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
well i give 2 years before we see new consoles, and by than, pc gamers will be seeing graphics far from the competition... the consoles won't ever keep up

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]njkid3[/nom]what in the world is that supposed to mean. try using real words next time[/citation]

Pretty obvious, dude, "El O El". Try pronouncing it? You'll get "LOL". Amazing, isn't it?

I imagine that tony_wilson is implying that the majority of THG are PC users. Which may or not be true, but just that fanboyism of consoles would be pretty well laughed at here.

As to your original comment... Uh, because current-gen computers would be an Intel i7 and ATI 5870/Nvidia GTX 295, which, sorry, stomp a console soundly into the ground. So, assuming if Epic was even targeting CURRENT GEN computers... It would absolutely fail on a console.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think Epic Games is failing with the Unreal Engine rescently. The Unreal Engine 3 failed to operate well as a middleware app. It takes too much time to adjust it to fit your game. Other engines are starting to surpass the Unreal Engine in usability, diversity, and cost. Unreal Engine 4 is going to have to address this.

G

i dont know but ill tell you what i can stomp the dog dookie out of a guy on unreal on my ps3..

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]I think Epic Games is failing with the Unreal Engine rescently. The Unreal Engine 3 failed to operate well as a middleware app. It takes too much time to adjust it to fit your game. Other engines are starting to surpass the Unreal Engine in usability, diversity, and cost. Unreal Engine 4 is going to have to address this.[/citation]

I have a friend who is a game developer whose oppinion on Unreal Engine is "overrated blah"... The best thing about it are the tools and the code is a mess :)

windndust

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
[citation][nom]FUtomNOreg[/nom]They left out the part where they said it will debut on Duke Nukem Forever.[/citation]

I appreciate the humor in the this statement.
seven years is a long time to develop an engine especially if you haven't completed the engine that's supposed to release before it. That's like microsoft already designing windows 8 before windows 7 hit rc

2shea

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
It is a long time but dx11 is around the corner and already being implemented in windows 7 and some games are being developed.
I'd like to see around this time next year what unreal4 engine can come up with.

Ehsan w

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
[citation][nom]goodguy713[/nom]i dont know but ill tell you what i can stomp the dog dookie out of a guy on unreal on my ps3..[/citation]

ok....seriously man, I have no idea what you said there...

G

[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]Pretty obvious, dude, "El O El". Try pronouncing it? You'll get "LOL". Amazing, isn't it?I imagine that tony_wilson is implying that the majority of THG are PC users. Which may or not be true, but just that fanboyism of consoles would be pretty well laughed at here.As to your original comment... Uh, because current-gen computers would be an Intel i7 and ATI 5870/Nvidia GTX 295, which, sorry, stomp a console soundly into the ground. So, assuming if Epic was even targeting CURRENT GEN computers... It would absolutely fail on a console.[/citation]

ok thank you i get it now i have seen the blight of my comment. and all it took was someone actually giving me a well thought out and complete explanation.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
If the next gen consoles come out around 2013/14... and UE3 is already 2+ years old... thats a bit of a long time.

Looking at the quality of UT3... obviously, 40-50 people we're not enough, or not enough "quality" people to screw up their MAIN flagship title.

Epic has dragged the Unreal franchise into the mud. :(

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
id tech 4 is kind of waiting to see full potential on lesser-than-pc hardware too... I can also see how a full range launch would sa\/e them money and get full opotential out of it.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]If the next gen consoles come out around 2013/14... and UE3 is already 2+ years old... thats a bit of a long time.Looking at the quality of UT3... obviously, 40-50 people we're not enough, or not enough "quality" people to screw up their MAIN flagship title.Epic has dragged the Unreal franchise into the mud.[/citation]
that's why the engine is licensed for tons of other games... mud... hmm. must be oil laden mud! :p

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Unreal Engine and Unreal Franchise are two different things. The Franchise would be the games, eg Unreal, Unreal 2, Unreal Championship, Unreal Tournament 2k4, etc...

perzy

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
I dot know technical details but UE3 is not appeling to me. I play UT3 and enjoy it and some parts are amazing. But, as a whole it is not pretty. I dont like it like I love the graphics in old UT from 1999.
I can't be more specific sorry. It's just to bright colours, to blurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.