Ericsson: 20mp HD-capable Handset by 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

You can cram as many photosites on a piece of silicon the size of the head of a pin as you want, but it's just a number. The photos from a 12 megapixel sensor that size coupled with a fixed lens that will fit in a cell phone sized device (I'm assuming some kind of folded lens design) won't be worth wasting your memory card on. Sure, it will replace a camera and camcorder for vacationers that take snap shots, but it will never touch the image quality of even the cheapest dedicated point-and-shoot camera.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Thin cameras will always have minimal optics. Good optics will always be bulky. Sure, the features and sensor (I assume the sensor is greatly upgraded as well) may be great, but it's still not a threat to normal low-end digital cameras.
However, phones with optical zoom are beging to come out - such as the Nokia 93i and Samsung g810 - I hope this is a growing trend.
I think most will agree, it's not the number of megapixels, it's making every pixel look good.

About the features, I will love HD video recording & playback (watch a HD movie in my phone on a girlfriends HD TV set.) The screen & CPU may allow a real browser and apps finally (like on MIDs). The internet connection (I assume 4G) will be so fast, many or most people will simply not bother with DSL or cable modems, simply wire or bluetooth your phone in your PC or notebook for great broadband.

G

photo quality will continue to improve. I think the poster is wrong about image quality. Sensor technology will improve in four years. This phone might cost $3000 though. The other thing, it will only be for sale in Korea. In US A, In 2012, Sprint will carry 3MP phone with digital zoom and can save as BMP *OR* PIC!!!!!!! Howbout that?!

mmc4587

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
Right now you can get a 5 MP camera with Flash and 5x OPTICAL ZOOM...
They are about 20mm thick and not to easy to find in the 'States though.

If the new liquid lens tech. works as well as they claim it will, we certainly will see super thin cameras in cell phones:
liquid lens

Furthermore, my 2MP cellphone takes comparable/better pictures to my parents old point and shoot 3x Optical Zoom 1.3 mp camera, AND much better pictures than the grainy crap you often get with a cheap 35mm.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
DSLR's ASP-C sized sensor already ran into a brick wall at 15mp on the Canon 50D where you're not getting more per pixel detail than 10~12mp sensor.

With the sensor that small, all we're going to get is 20mp of grayscale picture.

G

Maybe they could put the lens diagonally to stretch to the entire size of that thing? Looks like the size of an iphone, judging from that picture.

G

I have never seen a cellphone pic that looks at least decent, the optics are terrible. The cellphonecams can cram all the megapixels they want, but they are only going to amplify optics noise. camera sensors have a predefined large grain size to look decend, if you want more megapixels the sensors size increase dramatically as well as their price. There are big sensors over 25mp used on 645 digital cams but too expensive, botton line a cellphone cam is just a toy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS