Question Error message new laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2022
Hello.

I've gotten an error message on my new (a week old) laptop four times now. It says 'application error,- The instruction at ..........(combination of digits and letters) referenced memory at ..........(combination of digits and letters) Memory could not be read' Sometimes it said 'memory could not be written instead'. The codes have varied.

I have done a system scan with Lenovo Vantage, a full scan with Lenovo downloadable diagnostic tool for windows and a scan/test with Windows memory diagnostic test. These came back as normal.

I later did a clean boot and did sfc/ scannow in terminal which said it found corrupt files and fixed them. They were three or four windows system files.

I was told on the phone that I have the option to declare the laptop as DOA (dead on arrival) since this happened so soon.

I have no idea what the cause of the messages was. Since I kept both of my old laptops for 7 years, did a lot of careless things with them and downloaded a ton of programs and still never got a single error message, I find it somewhat strange that I managed to do something that would damage the laptop so soon. I've only downloaded two programs and those were very well known programs like BitDefender and OpenOffice. Of course accidents can always happen.

It's not that I want to return it, but I'm worried about there being something wrong with it. It would be best for me to return it in exchange for a new one than to try to repair it, if there is something wrong.

What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.