Question ethernet question with the hp elitebook and the hp port replicator

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
i have the hp elitebook 745 and i had to add the hp port replicator to it to create some working space on mu smaller work area. i have fiber internet and 500mbps speed. my issue is when i first power the hp port replicator i get 500 up dn but after a few minutes the dn speed drops to 300 mbos and climbs to maybe 400 to 450 mbps. if i plug in the lan port i get 500 mbps. so the hp port replicator seems to be either failing or not up to the speed for very long.

i tried using the ABIWAZY port replicator but it seems to not work on this pc. i do have another one and that works thru the usb-c port. so the ABIWAZY must be defective. it will not run the monitor or the ethernet. unless i'm missing a driver. but internet searches do not bring up drivers for it.

so now i'm looking at this port replicator the MCY like this one on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/145754135581 so does anyone know if this MCY replicator is a good unit? i have no idea why the hp replicator is so slow for internet as it shows the tv icon for being on the wired connection just like when i plug in the lan port.

so before i get one of these MCY units maybe some here can help me figure this out? thanks

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
i suppose your correct. but i'm just curious if that device will work. and or the hp replicator is working or starting to fail. maybe there is some tests i can run on that hp replicator to test it for proper function? if the hp replicator fails then it will be good to know i can get something to replace it. also i'm paying for 500 up-dn i should be getting it needed or not. up is not changing but dn starts out at rated speed and then after some time it gets slower and slower until wifi is faster. thanks

Last edited:

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
3005pr usb port replicator. if you need more info i have to unstick it from the table. i double taped it down to keep it from moving all over.

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
after i unplugged it to get the numbers and plugged it back in i got 150 dn and then ran it again about a minute later and got 250 dn and always over 500 up something is not working correctly on this unit. i got it used from ebay and that issue may be why it was on ebay. that is why i asked about the MCY UNIT

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What does the port replicator connect to? Directly to the router?

Have you tried alternate Ethernet cables?

Your USB 3.0 interface to the port replicator is likely getting saturated. Given the relative low performance capabilities of the laptop, it likely isn't helping.

You might get better performance from another port replicator. I'm not familiar with the device you are asking about.

I question whether the juice is worth the squeeze.

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
this replicator plugs into the left side usb port that port has the ss and the 3 prong symbol and the lighting bolt symbol i think that is a power symbol.

that then lets me plug the lan from the hp replicator into a hub that hub goes to the main network hub. if i plug the laptop directly into that same hub i get 500 up-dn . it could be the pc port but per the hp forums that is what they sent to me from ebay as the proper replicator to get for the hp elitebook 745 ryzen 3500u laptop.

yes on the cables. i even tried the cable the netgear modems and routers come with. and i have that same cable going from the hp replicator to the network hub. by the way the hubs are all netgear hubs.

i can get the same results with my older hp probooks those were the 6570b units. but i do not use them anymore do to not being win11 ready.

maybe someone here will have one of those units and can better advise.

so i just ran the speed test again and this time it was 450 dn 515 up. up is always good but dn is always different using this hp replicator.
thanks

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
i have a hp ryzen 3250u laptop but that does not have the same usb port specks. it is possible this 3500u laptop is just not quite up to the task. i may have to learn how to use the mouse with my left hand. so i can plug in the cable on the right side.. if i do that now i run out of space

COLGeek

Cybernaut
i have a hp ryzen 3250u laptop but that does not have the same usb port specks. it is possible this 3500u laptop is just not quite up to the task. i may have to learn how to use the mouse with my left hand. so i can plug in the cable on the right side.. if i do that now i run out of space
Get a USB extension cable if you need it for the mouse. Most mouse cables should be long enough to accommodate USB locations regardless.

TRENDING THREADS