EU Sues Sweden Over ISP Data

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Interesting to see how a few like to comment on the data retention directive claiming Sweden is doing its citizens a service by NOT implementing the data retention directive, and that IPRED law would be more effective when the directive is implemented.
IMNHO, the way I see it, the data retention directive is line with current EU declarations of human rights, something that Swedish legislation is not.
As it is today with IPRED alone, Private entities can request subscriber info from ISPs, and the ISPs are legally prevented from notifuing the subscriber about the request for their data. Integrity? My *ss!
The data retention directive prevents ISPs from releasing information to any other parties but government/law enforcement agencies. It also forces ISPs to keep data for a specified amount of time, but prohibits them from keeping it any longer. No limitations are set by swedish law today other than the vague phrase "not longer than necessary". Necessary for what?

In Short: Without the data retention Directive, swedish citizens are more liable to be "caught" by private corporations than with the directive.
Do I like IPRED or the DRD? Absolutely not!! But whewhen choosing between two evils...

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
GO SWEDEN!!!!
|_____| |__________________|
| |
|_____ __________________|
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
|_____| |__________________|

G

@ThePatriot: That is a great quote, and still 100% applicable today, but I'm pretty sure Thomas Jefferson made it, not Ben Franklin, LOL.

Thomas Jefferson=Founding Father

Ben Franklin=Invented the light bulb

cloudNINE

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Thomas Jefferson=Founding Father

Ben Franklin=Invented the light bulb

Jefferson is on the US $20 note*
Franklin on the $100 note*

I'm looking forward to seeing Bush on the $1,000 note* Rofl

Excuse the 0ff-topic dribble. [/end dribble]

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Oh great now it seems Europe is starting to take a page from America. Sue everyone and anyone and make sure you can violate has many of the peoples rights has possiable in doing so. A friendly warning from here in America: DO NOT LET IT HAPPEN!!! Watch the EU like a hawk.

-unknown-

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]...I see the point of knowing which ip address is associated with which client - that's in my book quite fair. But I think noone should have the right to retain collect my personal messages in whichever form just because I could be doing something they don't want me to. When there is reason to assume I am doing something severely incriminating, then fair enough - they can set up something to intercept my data - but they shouldn't be allowed to treat us as criminals by default. Which is essentially what they do. And I live in one of the countries that did implement this...[/citation]
+1
I completely understand the need to have cooperation between ISPs and the government AFTER evidence is provided on a suspect, but not before. Telephone conversations aren't recorded and stored for a 'necessary amount of time', but you can obtain a warrant to tap a persons phone. I don't see why they don't treat the internet the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.