Even More Lawmakers Jumping on Pro-Unlock Wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
How about not locking the phone at all? How about the cell phone companies just finance the phones to clients separately from the phone bill????

sargentchimera

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
I generally do not agree with those 3 and their ideals, especially Klobuchar, but I agree with them on this issue. Phones should be unlockable, even though I do not do it myself I support it.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]How about not locking the phone at all? How about the cell phone companies just finance the phones to clients separately from the phone bill????[/citation]

They don't like it as it than would become clear to the masses how expensive these toys actually are.
You won't believe how many of my iPhone clad friends brag how 'cheap' they have gotten their iCrap; forgetting they are paying twice the monthly bill now that I pay.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Glad to see our legislative officials doing SOMETHING, considering that their inaction allowed this to go into law in the first place.

gggplaya

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Phones shouldn't be locked in the first place. You paid for it, you get an ETF fee is you quit the service. That ETF is incorporated into the now useless phone that you already paid for. The consumer is the one getting screwed here.

You own it, it's your hardware. It shouldn't be locked in the first place, and it most definitely shouldn't be illegal to unlock and move to another carrier with it.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
This is CLASSIC elected parasite. Pass a special-interest funded, rights-violating law in the first place. When people start to get upset about it, begin campaigning against that law, then repeal it amidst great fanfare over how diligent you are about looking after your constituents.

[citation][nom]gggplaya[/nom]Phones shouldn't be locked in the first place. You paid for it, you get an ETF fee is you quit the service.[/citation]
Precisely. We don't need a law making it legal to unlock a phone you bought and fully paid for. We need a law making it illegal for sellers to artificially limit what you can do with stuff you bought and fully paid for.

manodjow

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
ok seriously, even on Brazil carriers MUST unlock your phone if you ask then... cmon guys you should've unlocked phones by default...

murzar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]I think that some senator's kid tried to unlock their phone and they are facing charges, so they want to get rid of it[/citation]

Lol. That's is possible. :p

punahou1

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
They should have thought of this when they originally drafted and voted on this law. Now they have to back peddle after being exposed for how ridiculous this is....

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
This whole thing came about due to political posturing. If the lazy SOB's in congress had bothered doing their jobs, then they wouldn't have let the exception expire in the first place. They must think is much better for all the sheep to see the Congress appearing as a hero for saving them from 10 years in jail for taking their AT&T phone to T-Mobile, than to have the issue never happen in the first place.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]Whoever voted to accept this law in the first place should resign![/citation]
Most have already been voted out of office.... The DMCA was passed more than a decade ago...before the "smartphone market" really got started.

Status
Not open for further replies.