Even More Lawmakers Jumping on Pro-Unlock Wagon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
If I pay for something, I am going to do whatever the hell I want to it, regardless of the piece of fruit stamped on it.

garrick

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]They don't like it as it than would become clear to the masses how expensive these toys actually are.You won't believe how many of my iPhone clad friends brag how 'cheap' they have gotten their iCrap; forgetting they are paying twice the monthly bill now that I pay.[/citation]
It's actually better for consumers if phones aren't subsidized because then prices will really play a big factor in which phones customers end up buying and that will keep prices competitive.
Apple feels no need to bring down the price of their phones because the cost of the phone is hidden when you sign a contract with the carrier.
Considering how you can buy a decent laptop for 500 dollars the current price of Apple's iphones are really way over priced!

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]They don't like it as it than would become clear to the masses how expensive these toys actually are.You won't believe how many of my iPhone clad friends brag how 'cheap' they have gotten their iCrap; forgetting they are paying twice the monthly bill now that I pay.[/citation]

True. I've personally noticed that if I bought an iPhone myself and then went with a carrier, I could actually save money even though I was paying 600 dollars for the iPhone, because the monthly bill is less than half.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]Solandri[/nom]Precisely. We don't need a law making it legal to unlock a phone you bought and fully paid for. We need a law making it illegal for sellers to artificially limit what you can do with stuff you bought and fully paid for.[/citation]

Ah, but that would put a kibosh on DRM as well, since it only limits people who bought and fully paid for games/software/etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.