Event ID 41 - Lenovo T440 Laptops

DavyH_IRL

Estimable
Sep 3, 2015
Hi

I have 3 Lenovo T440s laptops and all of them are showing symptoms of this event ID41 - Kernal Power The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

When this happens they are all docked and it seems when the laptops are left locked overnight. When I come in the next day they can just have a black screen on the laptop but the power on/off key is illuminated but laptop totally unresponsive. I have other T440s in my enviroment and they seem ok. Firmware and BIOS are up to date.

Laptop model:

Lenovo T440s
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz
8GB of RAM

Any ideas or help much appreciated

Dave

Solution
That event ID is simply a message indicating that the hard drive was not shut down cleanly along with Windows. You may be having some issues with either your memory or power-saving features. Disable automatic sleep and hibernation.

You may also be having difficulty with a Windows 8 feature called hybrid shutdown, which performs a hibernate-like dump of important running processes and kernel components during each shutdown. To disable hybrid shutdown, type "Power plan" in Start and choose the first option. Click "Choose what the power buttons do" on the sidebar. Click "Change settings that are currently unavailable." Uncheck "Turn on fast startup."

If none of these solutions work, try removing one of the RAM sticks from each of your...

metalicgeek

Estimable
That event ID is simply a message indicating that the hard drive was not shut down cleanly along with Windows. You may be having some issues with either your memory or power-saving features. Disable automatic sleep and hibernation.

You may also be having difficulty with a Windows 8 feature called hybrid shutdown, which performs a hibernate-like dump of important running processes and kernel components during each shutdown. To disable hybrid shutdown, type "Power plan" in Start and choose the first option. Click "Choose what the power buttons do" on the sidebar. Click "Change settings that are currently unavailable." Uncheck "Turn on fast startup."

If none of these solutions work, try removing one of the RAM sticks from each of your laptops and seeing if the systems are stable overnight. Repeat with the other stick in the case of failure.

Solution