Ex-boyfriend Used Craigslist for Woman's Rape

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
I have had first hand experience with craigslist's customer support. A few month's ago someone posted my home phone # on craigslist under the adult services section. I had people call me and my wife at all hours of the morning looking for tail. I had my number listed on 3 different occassions on craigslist for 3 different women offering "services".I called craigslist customer service with the listing i.d. each time complaing about them not checking the numbers posted on their site. Each time I got very little resolution and was told that there was no way to verify the content before it was posted. I explained that I had a wife and a 3 year old and that if someone could link my phone with my address they might just show up instead of calling the number. The rep told me she understood my concern but could do nothing about it. I then told her that I might have to seek legal representation if the calls did not stop. Conveniently the calls stopped. So I find it hard to beleive that Craigslist is completely innocent in this matter. They make it way to easy for crap like this to happen.

G

That's the way it goes, sometimes the people who work for Craigslist try to get away with Not doing their job until you threaten to contact the police. Once you do that, then it's an entirely different story as they already know that they must comply with the law. They just don't want to bother is all.

Repelsteeltje

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
I can vaguely see how such a story would arouse a man in a fantasy sort of way, but to actually break in and rape a woman he's never met before makes me think he's not just dumb but actually pretty sick in the head. I agree wholeheartedly with "can't make this shit up"...

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Sickos. Kill them both. If I controlled the justice system, the heads would be rolling. I have no tolerance for stupid, sick, fucked up shit anymore.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Sounds like the charges are correct to me although I might have added one more to the ex boyfriends. Not sure what charge but the one he got sounds pretty weak. That radiologist deserves everything he gets and perhaps more.

Maybe public endangerment would a good charge for the ex since the woman could have had a gun and shot anyone going to her house to do this... Who knows how many people he tried to talk into this crap.

seriousazn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]Sickos. Kill them both. If I controlled the justice system, the heads would be rolling. I have no tolerance for stupid, sick, fucked up shit anymore.[/citation]
Exactly...but too bad there is too much room for 'errors' in death penalty cases, so they spend millions of taxpayer dollars on it...resulting in an epic fail at the end... So easy to convict someone for life, so hard to end their life...

sactownbwoy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
I don't see how anyone can blame craigslist. One could use any number of ways to put that stuff out there. The McDowell should have requested a face to face first but he's an idiot and is getting what he deserved.

@cracklint - how did your number get on craigslist? you might want to look to your circle of friends or something. Someone you know who has your number put it on there. How is that craigslists' fault. So now it is their responsibility to check every phone number posted in every ad to make sure it's legit? As I said you might want to start talking with your friends to see who played a joke on you

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I swear this was the exact plot to an episode of The Closer! Ex-boyfriend posts messages on dodgy dating site inviting people to "attack" her. Girl ends up dieing. Brenda Leigh Johnson can't figure out the motive, until when in the apartment alone figuring out what happened, she too is attacked, only she pulls a gun and badge on the attacker who pleads "I was only doing what you told me to!".
I thought it was far-fetched when they aired it. I don't now!!!!

Atticah

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
they should just put a thingy "don't know what it's called but something like this"

"Craigslist isn't responsible and you fully oblige to all actions"

something along those lines:O

G

The radiologist is a sado-masochistic a$$hole --- nobody can be that stupid!
And how is it that Craigslist is getting all the negative publicity from the same morons that profess "guns don't kill people; it's people who kill people" while defending their gun right ? Hypocrites, assholes !

skyu

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
McDowell and Stipe are both quilty.Mostly Stipe.Because the service is just a service.HOW you use it is another thing.To put words in that girl mouth ?Revenge in this way?LAME!!!.What he did will scar her mind forever.I hope he will get what he deserves for this.
...And McDowell?What was in his mind?If you meet someone with this kind of..."requirements "(rape,beating ...whatever)...ASK for her webcam,to see who's there.Adventure is one thing...but throwing yourself in mindless situations...is another

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
There's a simple saying: "'No' means no." Once that is said, anything you do afterwards can be considered sexual assault. People who play-act like S&M have "safety words", don't they? McDowell just didn't care. Not fail. Jail. Buh-bye now!

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
You cant really blame Craig's for this. Craig's list was just a tool that was misused, just like the knife in this scenario.

However I dont see people screaming about knives being used to rape people in this thread.

I beat if the article title read "Knife Used to Rape Woman" we would all be having a different conversation right now.

Craig's list gets about as much credit for comitting this crime, as a shovel gets for the digging of a ditch.

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
[citation][nom]TeraMedia[/nom]There's a simple saying: "'No' means no." Once that is said, anything you do afterwards can be considered sexual assault. People who play-act like S&M have "safety words", don't they? McDowell just didn't care. Not fail. Jail. Buh-bye now![/citation]

"McDowell allegedly forced his way into the woman's home, then bound, blindfolded and gagged the 25-year-old woman, then raped her as he pressed a knife to her throat."

She was gagged, I dont think she got the chance to say no.

Status
Not open for further replies.