Excel questions (beginner)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Hi I am very new to Excel

I'd like to create a table in Excel where I can put in some information like Name, Gender, Age, Job etc...
and then I'd like it to update the information to a table on another sheet or another excel file

How can I do that?

Another example is , I am creating an invoice in Excel for my customer. Whenever I fill in the information like invoice number, dates, total price of the items, price paid etc... then it will transfers those information to another sheet or another excel file to keep a record of the all the invoices I've created. And whenever I choose a particular invoice in the table list I can go back to the full details of the invoice.

How to do that?

Thank you for all the advice!

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
^ I actually agree with this, I run my business off excel, as it was easier for me to build something in excel than learn to use quickbooks, the accountant does the official work. Do whatever you have to to run your business, spend as little time as possible administering your business, and as much time as possible running it, selling, buying, making, marketing etc.

There are subscription accounting packages like xero, so you don't have up front cost.

Setup a LAMP severs (websever with PHP, MySQL, Apache, etc) on an old machine, can be from 15 years ago. - Free
Install something like http://opensourcebilling.org/ - Free

You could also then make the webserver ports open and do invoicing from anywhere on the net for free.

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006

I might just use that

USAFRet

Illustrious
If it were me, I'd do something in Access+Excel.
But that's what I do. 150,000 peoples worth of broken Access and Excel problems eventually float up to me...:lol:

If I were an Excel beginner, I wouldn't even consider it.
Quickbooks, or the above LAMP stack.