Exclusive Apps: iOS Versus Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

HappyBB

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
It's Apple's close-door environment, control-freak attitude, and Jobs' super ego that keep me away from joining iCamp. However, I have to admit that App Store is a really attractive place to visit. Until Android Market catches up or surpasses App Store, I'll have to live with my secret and torturing desire of visiting App Store.

kanaida

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
I'm never gonna develop for iphones, it's already dying off. They only have a handful of devices vs the ever growing number of cheaper android devices. Besides, I think i'd slap jobs in the face if he ever took out my app out of the market. They have a nasty habit of getting rid of people's hard work at a whim.

kanaida

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
The app store is barely anything to complain about. just download a better one.
All they really need are proper search filters to narrow stuff down a bit more.

NatureTM

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Not to mention all kinds of other smaller-name apps that Apple just doesn't like for one reason or another. For example, there was an app on iTunes called "Lock Genie." It could recover combinations for MasterLocks, which I thought was pretty cool. Sure, it could be used for something bad, but it could also save you from throwing out old locks that you just lost the combination to. I guess it made Apple nervous, because they got rid of the app after a short while.

Now there's one for android that does the same thing. Sure there are exclusive apps on both sides, but at least Google isn't in the business of telling users what they can't do.

G

Wish you guys would've done a bit on the fact that how Android's APIs are WAY more open than iOS's. Things like alternative keyboards and other system app replacements aren't possible on iOS, but are on Android.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]mcrissjr[/nom]Wish you guys would've done a bit on the fact that how Android's APIs are WAY more open than iOS's. Things like alternative keyboards and other system app replacements aren't possible on iOS, but are on Android.[/citation]
Come on now, if you're going to start talking about the differences in programming for Android and iOS you can at least be fair - there are things iOS can do better than Android as well. if you truly knew anything about developing for each system then you'd know this, instead of your weak attempt to imply Android's superiority as a platform to develop for.

This also applies to that other "so called developer" kanaida.

Myself, I chose to develop for iOS after taking a long hard look at both platforms. Would you like to get into a detailed technical discussion on the inner workings of both systems? I'm up for it, are you?

NatureTM

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
lol ericburnby, you're really riled up! mcrissjr only said Android is more open. I don't know how anyone could deny that fact. I mean, you can actually read the source for the Android OS, and it's based on Java, which is also very open.

I remember when iOS first came out, Apple wouldn't even let people discuss programming for it outside of the Apple-run communities. It was like being under an NDA. If something wasn't documented well, you had to just poke around and figure it out for yourself. Apple's gotten a little better, but Android is still *much* more open.

I don't think there's anything untrue about what kanaida said either, although he did get a little fanboyish at the end.

Oh, and your comment, "Would you like to get into a detailed technical discussion on the inner workings of both systems? I'm up for it, are you?" makes you sound like a real know-it-all. There are so many technically knowledgeable people on the internet. A wise person realizes, no matter how smart they think they are, there are a *ton* of people who know more than them.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]NatureTM[/nom]lol ericburnby, you're really riled up! mcrissjr only said Android is more open. I don't know how anyone could deny that fact[/citation]

Er, it seems you're really riled up to me. Ericburnby only said that there are things iOS can do better. I don't know how anyone could deny that fact. The point, in case you missed it - is that being 'open' and being able to read the source code? Is pointless. It doesn't help you build better apps, it doesn't mean anything. From a developers point of view, I agree it's far easier to develop on iOS. That's *much* more important than it being open.

'I'm up for it, are you?" makes you sound like a real know-it-all'

It only makes him sound like that to people with inferiority complexes. To me, it makes him look like he actually has a clue what is relevant, and important when it comes to building apps, and he isn't clinging on the notion of 'open source' like it's the holy grail where no bad can happen.

'A wise person realizes, no matter how smart they think they are, there are a *ton* of people who know more than them.'

In your case, that appears to be true. For others, who have vastly more experience than you (the *ton* of people you refer to), they can have confidence in their opinions because they actually recognise what is important. It would be unwise for such a person to attach any credence to a guy who essentially says 'you're riled up and open source is good'. And yes, I utilised your lame blueprint to demonstrate how pathetic it is.

:)

NatureTM

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
@watcha

The guy was just being a jerk. Those two people made factual statements and he attacked them.

ie:
"if you truly knew anything"
"your weak attempt"
"so called developer"

His only argument was that he knows and they don't. Most of the really smart people I meet are pretty humble and don't act like that, so I called him out. The worst things I said to him were that his sentence made him sound like a know-it-all, and he was "riled up."

And that made you act like a complete dick. I smell a fanboy.

G

>> Unlike Plants vs Zombies, there appear to be no immediate plans to bring Cut the Rope to Android.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
It is fun to see iOS exclusive the skype with proper features in. It won't be long till the new version will slash those. And then skype being exclusive for Windows mobile :p

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
There is a difference between being open and being open source. Android is both. Yes, being open source doesn't mean much to an app developer, but it does give hardware developers the freedom to make excellent devices.

Apart from being open source, Android is also an open platform, meaning developers truly have the freedom to create the apps they want. They aren't necessarily limited by rules and restrictions.

iOS maintains more developer interest simply because it was the first platform to develop successful apps on. Now that Android has a significantly stronger user base, we'll probably start seeing a shift where the majority of developers prefer Android.

G

I've got an android and my wife's got an iphone. The only problem I have with apps on the android platform is poor optimization such that you have to buy an expensive flagship phone to be sure you can run any app well (try playing angry birds on an ideos) where as ios apps are optimized to run smoothly on any of the "few" idevices that support them. That usually leaves many budget android uses with limited apps to run on their phones which is a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.