Exclusive: Bethesda to Announce Elder Scrolls MMO in May

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Sounds amazing and could definitely have a lot of potential. They have the funds to make something good happen - let's hope that's gonna be the case.

G

Enough with the faction mmo's. Do something innovative, give players more freedom!

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
my two biggisest concerns regarding a ES MMO

1. will bethesda expands their company to deal with the mmo , or jsut stop all production of future single player ES games ? if the latter then i say WTF ES is and should stay a single player game .

2. will the horde of main streamers flock to the game bringing the typical MMO atmosphere with them.. or will the game be mostly die hards that actually ROLE P LAY their characters. in short are we gonna be treated to a Wow version of ES , or get something closer to NWN 1 and 2 where you actually have something to do beyound bashing the next squad of spawns ?

in short , i hate mmos because no one really role plays at them and every time some big IP goes MMO it means the end of the old versions of that series ever being continued. (look at wow we never got a Warcraft 4 RTS game because of WoW

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]my two biggisest concerns regarding a ES MMO 1. will bethesda expands their company to deal with the mmo , or jsut stop all production of future single player ES games ?[/citation]

The Elder Scrolls MMO is being developed by ZeniMax Online Studios, so most of the team that worked on Skyrim won't be involved, I think.

-Devin Connors, Tom's Guide

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]to their credit, skyrim was interesting, and interesting for longer than oblivion... where as oblivion needed mods before i called it playable, skyrim is out of the box, and mods enhance it.[/citation]

actually ,if you subtract the horrid character models i'd say Morrowind (eldscrolls 3) was by far bethesda's best in the series .

Now don't get me wrong i like skyrim ,
i thought oblivion was ok but neither really outshined the expirence of morrowind and here's why

1. reduced spells and reduced mage functionality
oblivion really gimped the magic compared to morrowind , and selecting new spells was a real a-- pain (and down right impossible to do on the fly ) . Skyrim alivated the problem some by having a quicker casting menu as well as allowing dual wiedling of spells. however the problem was still there compared it to morrowind which allowed players to scroll spells on the mouse wheel (or d-pad if you payed it on the original xbox) no menu pausing needed what so ever. However , skyrim further gimped the spell selection even worse than oblivion did , there is no way to make new spells in skyrim . skyrim and oblivion also both tossed out the awesome implementation of flying and levitating spells that morriwind had . soemthign that really opened up some of the level design creativity in morrowind.

2. Oblivion and skyrim , altered races .. for developer/artist laziness

the two races i speak of are of course the khajit and the aragornians .. both of which in morrowind had back jointed knees in morrowind (aka beast legs) , and on oblivion and skyrim they got changed to have normal legs.the only reason i can see for this "lore" change was to accomodate laziness as the devs obviously were to lazy to to impelment seperate skeletons for such models. granted this is not such a big issue it is one that bugs me because it is a mattter of "world" consistancy, being the die hard that i am , i find it hard to go from playing these races in morrowind to playing them in either oblivion or skyrim . i hope the next game in the series brings these races back to their original form.

3. Oblivion pulled a game story no-no (spoiler alert)

the no -no that oblivion pulled was decentralizing the main character. granted your character was "in the middle" of the action they were NOT the central character to saving the world. a big no -no in game story design , the player should ALWAYS BE the story focal point and NEVER a sideline guy. in oblivion martin septim was the big hero in the end and your character was just the guy that helped him get there, this so totally killed the game for me , i only ever finished it once i did replay it but never was quite enthusastic to do a second or third playthrough all the way. THANKFULLY Skyrim was not guilty of this , bethesda brought the series back to form and the player is once again "THE" central character in the story.

3. ugly faces

ok morrowind was guilty of this too .. but seriously , look at default faces in morrowind compared to some of the butt holes hung on necks in oblivion and you'll see my point. normally i'm not one to pick about graphics .. but lets face facts there IS an enormous difference between low quality graphics and face models that are just plain F-ugly.
skyrim fixed this ... some what .. while the human faces are certainly better than the two previous games the elves are by far some of the ugliest elven faces I've seen by defaults. like Es 3 and 4 before it , if you want pretty elves in skyrim you'll need to grab a bag full of beauty mods

so there you have the reasons why i think morrowind was the best game in the Elderscrolls series . these are my opinions , i'm sure every one has their own , just figured i'd share this here ,since i hope an mmo will address these issues , if not.. well i can always wait for a free to play version.

crysex

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Wow, This is going to awesome! I hope they can learn from other MMOs and get it right at the first time.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]Basically they are saying it would be impossible to balance their open ended skill system. They'd likely have to adapt a whole new skill advancement system if they went into an MMO. Asheron's Call is the only open skill system MMO I've seen, and while it wasn't terrible, it definitely had balance issues.[/citation]

balancing is only an issue if you are a pvp hound. another reason i dislike mmo's i have yet to play one where i don't get a million super nerds come hit me up for a pvp challenge the first day i start playing. i think for once i'd like to see an MMO that abolishes PvP outright , it';s pointless boring and stupid kiddy crap

G

I don't mind free to play, but 9 times out of 10 they leave the game feeling under developed. Not a WoW supporter, but at least the constant revenue means the game gets the proper support and updated content.

Having said that, I don't agree with having to pay for expansion packs if I'm paying $15 a month. Also, When you have 10+ million subcribers, can't you lower the monthly subscriptions? Say $10? You still get your profits and probably bring more users in since it's more affordable and directly competes with other MMO's that charge the $15.

G

@demonhorde665

I agree. When I just wanna relax and quest at my own pace that's when I get my face ripped off. I like PvP on occasions, but bring in the Colosseum like Oblivion had. Best of both worlds then

G

No...not online...Bad idea.The Elder Schrolls games are meant to be RPG and NOT MMO!The whole legacy of RPG games like sacred and Diablo and The Elder Scrolls are meant to be pure RPG...Plus they will propably ruin the feeling of the serries.There won't be a dynamic story or an awesome gameplay.The atmosphere will be destroyed....I don't like to see TES taken away by the winds of change...It should be a classic magical single player RPG

cronik93

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]yea when you beat everything and do every quest and hit the absolute end game, single player rpgs are very boreing... mmos are to once you hit the end game and do every quest ( that you can do)[/citation]

You have no idea how fucking stupid you sound right now.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]balancing is only an issue if you are a pvp hound. another reason i dislike mmo's i have yet to play one where i don't get a million super nerds come hit me up for a pvp challenge the first day i start playing. i think for once i'd like to see an MMO that abolishes PvP outright , it';s pointless boring and stupid kiddy crap[/citation]
Even without PvP, people are going to complain about balance issues. Everyone wants to feel as useful in a party or a raid and if they aren't as useful as the next class, they will complain. You see just as much complaints from non-PvPers as PvPers in MMO's.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Wrong. The correct answer was C.) Make a Fallout or Elder Scrolls game with 2 player co-op. You are not going to get rich selling Elder Scrolls online subs.

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]Wrong. The correct answer was C.) Make a Fallout or Elder Scrolls game with 2 player co-op. You are not going to get rich selling Elder Scrolls online subs.[/citation]

...assuming they even use a traditional sub system. Free to play is a distinct possibility.
-Devin Connors, Tom's Guide

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]actually ,if you subtract the horrid character models i'd say Morrowind (eldscrolls 3) was by far bethesda's best in the series . Now don't get me wrong i like skyrim , i thought oblivion was ok but neither really outshined the expirence of morrowind and here's why 1. reduced spells and reduced mage functionalityoblivion really gimped the magic compared to morrowind , and selecting new spells was a real a-- pain (and down right impossible to do on the fly ) . Skyrim alivated the problem some by having a quicker casting menu as well as allowing dual wiedling of spells. however the problem was still there compared it to morrowind which allowed players to scroll spells on the mouse wheel (or d-pad if you payed it on the original xbox) no menu pausing needed what so ever. However , skyrim further gimped the spell selection even worse than oblivion did , there is no way to make new spells in skyrim . skyrim and oblivion also both tossed out the awesome implementation of flying and levitating spells that morriwind had . soemthign that really opened up some of the level design creativity in morrowind. 2. Oblivion and skyrim , altered races .. for developer/artist laziness the two races i speak of are of course the khajit and the aragornians .. both of which in morrowind had back jointed knees in morrowind (aka beast legs) , and on oblivion and skyrim they got changed to have normal legs.the only reason i can see for this "lore" change was to accomodate laziness as the devs obviously were to lazy to to impelment seperate skeletons for such models. granted this is not such a big issue it is one that bugs me because it is a mattter of "world" consistancy, being the die hard that i am , i find it hard to go from playing these races in morrowind to playing them in either oblivion or skyrim . i hope the next game in the series brings these races back to their original form. 3. Oblivion pulled a game story no-no (spoiler alert) the no -no that oblivion pulled was decentralizing the main character. granted your character was "in the middle" of the action they were NOT the central character to saving the world. a big no -no in game story design , the player should ALWAYS BE the story focal point and NEVER a sideline guy. in oblivion martin septim was the big hero in the end and your character was just the guy that helped him get there, this so totally killed the game for me , i only ever finished it once i did replay it but never was quite enthusastic to do a second or third playthrough all the way. THANKFULLY Skyrim was not guilty of this , bethesda brought the series back to form and the player is once again "THE" central character in the story. 3. ugly faces ok morrowind was guilty of this too .. but seriously , look at default faces in morrowind compared to some of the butt holes hung on necks in oblivion and you'll see my point. normally i'm not one to pick about graphics .. but lets face facts there IS an enormous difference between low quality graphics and face models that are just plain F-ugly. skyrim fixed this ... some what .. while the human faces are certainly better than the two previous games the elves are by far some of the ugliest elven faces I've seen by defaults. like Es 3 and 4 before it , if you want pretty elves in skyrim you'll need to grab a bag full of beauty mods so there you have the reasons why i think morrowind was the best game in the Elderscrolls series . these are my opinions , i'm sure every one has their own , just figured i'd share this here ,since i hope an mmo will address these issues , if not.. well i can always wait for a free to play version.[/citation]

yea, morrowind is easily the best, but it has some rather severe flaws in it, namely how poor combat felt, i play many old games, but the feel of morrowind combat makes it hard to immerse.

beyond that, makeing your character non central could easily work. let me explain... lets give the game an in game year for its main story, whether you play that story or not, it happens, and depending on what actions you take the world could good end, or bad end, you could be the focus or you could be a side character, however this would require multipul ends... something im fairly sure bethesda doesn't do (i play the games once, than mod the crap out of them... so i never go through more than once unmoded)

[citation][nom]cronik93[/nom]You have no idea how ******* stupid you sound right now.[/citation]

stating the fact tha a single player rpg is engaging because of the story, and once the story and all the side quest are done the game gets boreing? wow, never thought someone would contest me on that...

or are you going from the mmo side where i said once you end game the games are boring as hell, because the long grind to end game level, the boring and repetitive loot grind, and over all lack of skill needed to beat any end game group content... see how i dont include raid... as most people will never play that part of the game due to either time constraints, or just not being able to get into the guilds.

volv

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Made an account just to post this:

People wanting The Elder Scrolls to be an MMO are people who do not care about the franchise. TES has always been a singleplayer game, with the main focus being freedom. Freedom to do whatever you want how you want. Get bored after 100 hours? Install a ton of mods and play for 100 more

Turning TES into an MMO will tear down everything the games have been about, and turn it into a grindfest that strips you of your freedoms and forces you on a path of strict rules and limitations. As a long time TES (since Daggerfall) I take it as an insult that Bethesda wants to completely ruin a great franchise by transforming it into an MMO. Also, how many MMO's this day and age TRULY do well? You could say TOR does well, and WoW (despite the horrible community) does ok, but honestly, I seriously could not bare watching TES turn into either of those.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I need that Fry picture that says, "Shut up and take my money!" I don't think they can create a game as wonderful as morrowind/skyrim and still have hundreds of people on the screen running around.

Status
Not open for further replies.