Exclusive: Bethesda to Announce Elder Scrolls MMO in May

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

of the way

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
I'm kind of glad it's being done by ZeniMax Online Studios and not Bethesda Game Studios, but that basically means it's only being done to try to cash in on the MMO market. If it was done by Bethesda Game Studios I could see the motivation coming from the desire to advance the series to make it more realistic with more people acting like real people and not NPCs. It would still probably fail completely, but now at least I won't feel the need to spend a dime on it. Of course, if it's free to play I'd probably have to take a look.

G

I am very excited about this. I am sick and tired of every MMO being the same in terms of combat and questing. Things I hope to remain in place from their RPGs into this game:

No Quest Icons - make me want to talk to the NPCs instead of only looking for NPCs with icons.

Item Placement - you don't see this in MMOs. There aren't apples sitting on a counter that you can just pick up/steal. I hope to see this in the MMO (that respawn of course).

No fixed classes - you don't pick your class at character selection, but by how you play the game. Copy and paste Skyrim advancement system.

Skill based combat - No target selection & hotbar combat. I am sick of this in MMOs. Yes, Tera has this, but the rest of the game is an Asian grindfest.

First Person - Keep first person the primary view method.

Everyone is killable - Yes, please let people have the freedom to kill everyone, even quest givers. Of course there is a respawn, but make it open.

Full Voiced - SWTOR does it and it is the best part of the game. The rest of the game is copy/paste from every MMO before it.

frank_drebin

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Ain't paying $14.99/mo for a game. How about they charge like $1 per logon or $1 per day when you acutally playing. That way people will pay for actual gameplay and don't feel like they are wasting money when not playing

G

New to MMOs Frank?

Do you get charged for your cable for everytime your turn your TV on or pay by the hour? How about your internet service? Cell phone (who pays for minutes anymore)? Netflix? Xbox Live? etc etc etc

People don't like to feel like they are nickle and dimed and people wouldn't want to feel guilty every time they logged into the game. Your idea of pay by login would not take off at all.

G

I love how people are mentioning skyrim and oblivion, I've yet to see anyone saying there was something wrong with morrowind. I think bethesda will do great with their MMO, as long as it's not another SHITTY WOW CLONE like that fucking star wars game was. I don't even remember the name of that one, I wrote it off after I got to level 10. Anyways, point is this is their chance to revolutionize mmo"RPG" games. And goodluck to them.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The Elder Scrolls world is perfect for an MMO game but I'm really worried that this means we'll never see another single player TES game. And if it sucks then that's it for the series. I'll definitely give this a try when it comes out (hopefully not FTP) but I have yet to find an MMO that I really like beyond the first month or so. And I've put over 200 hours into Skyrim and much more into both Oblivion and Morrowind.

G

Completely different team from Bethesda. This is Zenimax Online Studios headed by Matt Firor - the genius behind original DAOC. They've been working on their 'mmo project' since 2007 with a 300 million dollar budget. I don't think it has been rushed as we haven't even heard official word about it yet. Yeah, I'm a bit of a fanboy, but if you loved DAOC RVR, you have him to thank. 3 factions, Matt Firor - sounds like spiritual successor to DAOC. Here's hoping the reveal is what we've been waiting for.

jrtolson

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Elder scrolls online = Blasphemy...

im a big fan of the series, my favorites been daggerfall and morrowind, and yes skyrim is good but not as good as prior games.. (imo).. an online elder scrolls would ruin the franchise. as i would be willing to bet they would put all their resources in it and not develop any more single player games as they would love cashing in on the MMorpg no life players.. and it would just turn out to be 60% korean game nuts, 20% no life numpties, and 20% nigerian spam and scammers exploiting every possible loophole in the game ..

it may do well, but as a fan of the franchise i certainly will NOT be playing!!

G

I hope they keep the open skill system. Maybe it'll play something like Ultimate Online, just not in 2D

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
I liked TES for the story, the adventure, enjoying the scenery and making my own potions. The combat left much to be desired, and even though I've barely touched Skyrim, I can't understand making an mmo out of their franchise b/c I expect that it would end up being an endless boring grind, focusing on the thing I cared for the least; the combat. I admit,occasionally landing a well timed long distance fireball on a strafing enemy was satisfying, but other than that, Oblivion would have been just as enjoyable for me if it were a huge graphic novel or comic book. They could potentially do so many fun things with the mmo, but I just don't see it. I would even be cool with a movie trilogy if it were done correctly, like Lord of the Rings before I'd wanna see yet another boring, uncompelling mmo.

nymeria

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
So excited! I'm one of those gfs that watch the bf play... to the point I made my own character and my bf lets me play sometime :) I just wihs we could both play together! They should start making more games like that, idk if MMO, but definitely multiplayer...

frank_drebin

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
[citation][nom]Diknak2[/nom]New to MMOs Frank?Do you get charged for your cable for everytime your turn your TV on or pay by the hour? How about your internet service? Cell phone (who pays for minutes anymore)? Netflix? Xbox Live? etc etc etcPeople don't like to feel like they are nickle and dimed and people wouldn't want to feel guilty every time they logged into the game. Your idea of pay by login would not take off at all.[/citation]
Not new but never actually paid monthly fee for them. I think it all depends on the price. Free-to-play is not exactly free either and they ARE nickel-and-dime users there and i know some people that buy in into that model... so if the price is right ... who knows ...

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
yeah let me guess it will work on PS and Xbox as well ...
so it will be another shitty console port ... in that case they can just stick it where the sun don't shine ... till no i was not able to bear tru an elder scrolls ... i found them irritating and badly done ... i think gothic 1 + 2 was better then oblivion ( i don't want to hear about gothic 3 and 4 go spam the jowood forums , thats there steaming pile). Risen is a good one as well ,amalur is meh as well ... skyrim is ok except the retarded controls ... its like playing an arcade ... thanking consoles for that ...

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]therealdeal[/nom]I love how people are mentioning skyrim and oblivion, I've yet to see anyone saying there was something wrong with morrowind. I think bethesda will do great with their MMO, as long as it's not another SHITTY WOW CLONE like that fucking star wars game was. I don't even remember the name of that one, I wrote it off after I got to level 10. Anyways, point is this is their chance to revolutionize mmo"RPG" games. And goodluck to them.[/citation]

I personally found Arena, Morrowind and Skyrim to be their best games in the series. Daggerfall was released with way too many bugs and Oblivion took a poor leveling system and made it worse with some of the enchantment changes.

I don't, however, find Morrowind to be any better than Skyrim. I believe Skyrim finally fixed a major problem with the advancement system, and has great landscapes.

threehosts

Honorable
Feb 15, 2012
While, I'm not a fan of the idea of an MMO TES game I don't think it would be a bad idea to make it possible to share the game with some friends or loved ones on a local network.

If there is something that needs an improvement in the TES series it is the A.I. it is pretty lame to be honest. Also increasing difficulty shouldn't make you weaker to enemies, it should make enemies smarter and more skilled in combat.

G

As others have said, TES was made for 1player freedom! It would ruin what makes TES well...TES the freedom, the laughter, the challenge and the realism. But I do not entirely disagree as they could make an arena add on for skyrim where you face other players online, but that is as far as it should go!

Status
Not open for further replies.