Exclusive: Bethesda to Announce Elder Scrolls MMO in May

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I believe this could be done with smaller instanced worlds and multiple people playing

People are clamoring for multiplayer in elder scrolls games. How hard would it be to put thousands of people in the world map and then allow the entry into dungeons by *groups* so there is no cross-play. You could even allow people that have already been through dungeons to help buddies and maybe impose a limit on xp/items they get the 2nd time around to allow the new explorers to get the best stuff.

I like to think this is a great idea but in all reality if they pursue this and Elder Scrolls 6 at the same time, both of them are *destined* to be a weaker product because of the shared focus. Just my 2c. Now if they completely decided to put all resources into making elder scrolls 6 a mmo experience from the ground up (ala Final Fantasy 11/14) and committed to only that project as their next.. then it has potential. The fact that the basic world mesh from Oblivion and Morrowind are actually included in Skyrim made me think that perhaps they had something bigger in mind for their next release. This may be it.

G

If it were to be even remotely good they couldnt have it be 3rd person like fallout 1 and 2 and the citites would probably have to be larger and maybe have to use the whole continent instead of a single area. as for skyrim it was "ok" oblivion and morrowind were and are way better. the guilds in skyrim were crap and skyrim ruinined the fact that you start with none of the cities on the map by adding the carts that drive you there oblivion was good as in it was so large it didnt matter that you had the cities unlocked and the spells in skyrim suck but at least they upgraded melee combat. the cities in skyrim were tiny except riften, markath, solitude. at least in oblivion the citites were large

G

So what if it wasn't an mmo, but more like co-op room lobbies like they do/did in diablo games? Makes party play and level group ups easier.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]sman22[/nom]If it were to be even remotely good they couldnt have it be 3rd person like fallout 1 and 2 and the citites would probably have to be larger and maybe have to use the whole continent instead of a single area. as for skyrim it was "ok" oblivion and morrowind were and are way better. the guilds in skyrim were crap and skyrim ruinined the fact that you start with none of the cities on the map by adding the carts that drive you there oblivion was good as in it was so large it didnt matter that you had the cities unlocked and the spells in skyrim suck but at least they upgraded melee combat. the cities in skyrim were tiny except riften, markath, solitude. at least in oblivion the citites were large[/citation]

Seems to me a lot of facts are wrong or you forgot. While Oblivion did not give you a cart, every other Elder Scroll game did. Morrowind had a transportation system with these squid like creatures which took you from city to city, so did Daggerfall and so did Arena. Oblivion was the oultiner, not Skyrim. Oblivion only had 1 big city, the rest were rather small. Not that unlike Skyrim. Most the cities in Skyrim are about the exact same size as most of Oblivion. Only Oblivions capital was big, and that's the same with Skyrim, with Solitude as the only large city (probably not as big), on the other hand, Skyrim's dungeons were much bigger than Oblivion's.

Anyways, I don't agree that Oblivion or even Morrowind was better than Skyrim, but then I did not like Oblivion, and I'd consider Morrowind equal (if you take the time it was released).

I also like the spell system in Skyrim much better than Oblivion. In Oblivion, you had to suck down potion after potion to survive be high level and illusion spells capped out at level 25 with no way to go higher and the ability to make any spell kind of takes the fun out of things imo. I also like the ability to choose your perks. The only thing I really dislike is that high level enchanting is required to make the spell costs manageable, but that's better than the potion sucking required with Oblivion and Morrowind (in Morrowind you could manufacture potions very easily which kind of offset the issue).

To each their own, but it does seem most people consider Oblivion to be their worst work, but I do agree that the Dark brotherhood and thieves guilds were good in Oblivion.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]cronik93[/nom]You have no idea how fucking stupid you sound right now.[/citation]

the fact you missed alidan's sarcasm , means you now sound liek teh dumbest a-- on the planet right now

G

A disaster, the elder scrolls games are all single player games. Whats the point of making an MMO, a pointless idea that will ruin the elder scrolls series.

G

NO!

I will hate Bethesda if they do this. Fallout? That's a "silly" game. An MMO of that, with naked people jumping around everywhere is acceptable -- I would even play that. But do NOT do that with the Elder Scrolls. It will be a stain on the series. And this isn't 1998, they can't make a game like Shadowkey and slip it under the radar when it flops -- everybody knows who Bethesda is now, this would drag the Elder Scrolls name through the mud, after all the hard work they put into it.

G

You mean I could finally get my TES co-op without having to hack the game halfway into unplayability? Great news - now let's hope they make it more like TES3 than IV or V.

Maybe it'll even have procedurally generated content, ala Daggerfall - with being MMO and all, making random instanced landscapes or dungeons, even crappy ones, shouldn't be going too much out of their way.

But what I really, really want, is mod support - that could be their ticket into securing a market.
Maybe forcibly keeping most of the gameworld vanilla, and restricting mods and their stuff to load on the demand of specific, separate instances, which would have their own 'mod list' and permission list they'd check against the client.

A lot of games have some sort of guildhouse or whatever, so letting players make their own custom landscape with their own rules isn't that far out, especially if there'd be some sort of clear separation between official and fan-made content.

swordsaint25

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
I think it could be the best MMO ever "if" instead of trying to be the next Blizzard, Bethesda thinks bigger and go's for a Wikipedia style game. Let players use TES and make the game a complete open sandbox. Yes, that's right, totally policed by players. No rules, balance, or the plethora of other things people cry about on a daily basis in the MMO genre. There could be different styles of servers of which one would be completely PvP-free, but still customizable, the other servers could be a totally open pvp server, or maybe a species based faction style pvp server. I think an MMO like that could be huge.

G

I know i'm only posting one time for that is all i want to do, but i can say i played through 3 of the 5 games of Elder Scrolls. I admit Oblivion had its serious downfall from Morrowind, but Skyrim had fixed most of what Oblivion left out. If they do finish up a MMO of Elder Scrolls, its bound to be plagued with problems. If anything they should keep it a Open Ended First Person RPG game, but add in things where you can have a friend join you online, or co-op with you on the console, so that it gives the feel of more than one person playing, with the main role as you, other then going blown out MMO where the story is non-existent. Probably will get a lot of people bashing what i am saying, but it is the web what do people want. We all got our right to say what we want, and do as we please. Do i agree with the MMO of TES to add to the series, not really, but if it was a First Person RPG still with the ability to invite people, like they slightly did in another game called Fable 2 which horribly failed at being fully able to do so, in my opinion, then yes it could be a fun ES game. I am someone that doesnt have much internet access with the console or computer, but i like the Single Player RPG and would like to be able to have a friend join me while I'm in game not have that person sit off and wait to game on it.

Well i said what i wanted to rant on, and a MMO of TES would be bad idea and Fallout would be better choice.

G

As much as I love skyrim, MMOs always bring in the n00bs who ruin it all - that added to the way an MMO will probably make you pay a LOT. Playing Skyrim is cool, playing an MMO for TES will probably look a bit sad. Will have to wait for details. I guess it would be better than a fallout one though...

G

I disagree with an MMO ES. Elder scrolls has always been a single player adventure. Why ruin it with another idiotic MMO? If it's that big of a deal, add multiplayer. Let's not plague this beautiful
series with a bunch of ventrillo nerds.

G

You should have acted.
It's already here.
The Elder Scrolls told of its return.
Its defeat at the Battlespire was merely a delay,
Till the time after the sons of Skyrim have spilled their own blood,
And the World Eater has returned to the skies.
But no one wanted to believe.
Believe it even existed.
And when the tragedy finally dawns,
It dawns in Multiplayer.
But there is one it fears.
In the Dragon Tongue he is Kaal Vopogaan,
Single Player.

G

1: why cant they put this on xbox? i would love to see how this would turn out and i only have the xbox version and no pc that can handle this game, if i did i would have that version, hell i would trade mine in for that if i had a good pc.
2: i think the elder scrolls online thing should be the main story/questline that the regular skyrim is. as for the balance issues, that is, if someone is a level 50 and playing with ,say a level 10, either the enemies will be insanely hard for the level10 character or insanely easy for the 50. a way to solve this would be to either have new characters for the player that they start out as, join another player that is similar rank to you, like a filter of a kind, or to those who want to play with a high level friend, they have the option to click on a button or something that says like 'this player is much above your level, are you sure you want to join? yes or no'

3 if there is any chance Bethesda please try to make this online for consoles such as xbox or ps3. also a modding toolkit download that you just download to your computer then make what you want then transfer that to a flashdrive for your xbox would be nice.. think about it!!

G

I think it will suck so bad... It won't be like other TES games. I think Bethesda should work on Dawnguard and on next TES not on this piece of shit.

G

I recommend to play Skyrim Online mod Excalibur ;) game the same as in Skyrimie, which is the same fight, etc, but with additions mmo. Recently added crafting, trading, own shops and even some cool stuff;) all in all a proof, the same as you want http://skyrimonline-excalibur.comeze.com

Status
Not open for further replies.