Experiment: We're Suckers for Virtual Bods

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfram23

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Isn't this true of, say, reading a book? Any good story, regardless of medium, tends to make the player/reader/viewer empathize with what's going on...

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
You need to go and read the original article in order to gain full appreciate for what they're saying. Otherwise, you just ready the short three paragraphs above and are left thinking, "Uh, ok, so what's the point of this article?"

It's actually pretty facinating that such a simple change of a person's perspective, could induce other sensory stimulation. This has a lot of implications for creating more immersive gaming worlds. Imagine what games will be like when even more of the senses can be engaged in the simulation.

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
call me crazy, but I actually liked trespasser, although it took 3 years to have a system that could run it. It was immersive for the time even though the floppy hand aiming was weird. The health meter tatoo was genius.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]Wolfram23[/nom]Isn't this true of, say, reading a book? Any good story, regardless of medium, tends to make the player/reader/viewer empathize with what's going on...[/citation]
Agree. It is not just games. It is the same affect as contagious laughter and yawning.

adipose

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]pwndcake[/nom]This is a threat to America. Empathy is what Hitler did.[/citation]

:)

Sorry no one else got the Daily Show/Glen Beck reference and modded you down.

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
The vast majority of First-person games do not allow you to look down at your character, aside from the occasional hand or foot. Trespasser did to a degree, and despite the titillation factor, was rather revolutionary and original. It was just sad that the rest of the game was horrendously designed.

The First Person RPG's Morrowind/Oblivion/Fallout 3 do NOT offer this feature, nor are there any mods that can force this feature in. In fact, it's hard-coded into the engines to deliberately keep your physical body hidden while in 1st-person view, for reasons I've not been able to fathom. Those kind of games would most benefit from the ability to see your entire character while looking through his or her eyes.

mattfoo2324

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
[citation][nom]pwndcake[/nom]This is a threat to America. Empathy is what Hitler did.[/citation]
Seriously? You're down voting him for a Glenn Beck quote from the Lewis Black segment on The Daily Show a couple nights ago. Probably doesn't mean it...

theroguex

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]HolyCrusader[/nom]The First Person RPG's Morrowind/Oblivion/Fallout 3 do NOT offer this feature, nor are there any mods that can force this feature in. In fact, it's hard-coded into the engines to deliberately keep your physical body hidden while in 1st-person view, for reasons I've not been able to fathom.[/citation]

Why continue to draw all those high-polygon-count player models when they're not seen during the vast majority of gameplay? It's a waste of resources that could go to making the REST of the environment look better. Sorta common-sense, if you ask me.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]theroguex[/nom]Why continue to draw all those high-polygon-count player models when they're not seen during the vast majority of gameplay? It's a waste of resources that could go to making the REST of the environment look better. Sorta common-sense, if you ask me.[/citation]
They get drawn on the many NPCs in the game, how much more work is it to include the character? This makes sense.

sithmuffin

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
This concept isn't new either. Second Life allows anyone to create male or female avatars and has been doing so since 2004. When i experimented with this I found the interactions with others in SL to be a very different experience for each sex. As this article implies, I had varying empathic responses based on the gender of my avatar. It really enabled me to develop a new perspective regarding male/female relations.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
ewer seens i read the City of heroes comic bock, And one of the characters sad "why are you a girl? well if im going to stare at a but all day it might ass well be a nice one." id always pickt girl characters frue out my gaiming.

Status
Not open for further replies.