Expert Says iPhone's 'Retina' Display Claim is False

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Everybody is an expert but never has the credentials to prove your anything. This dude has probably 10 solid years of schooling and 20 years of research behind him. So until any of you claim to know anything, put your accomplishments up against his.

The moment I heard steve jobs say those words retinal display, I laughed my ass off but knew that the apple fanboys would eat it up. Thats the key to marketing and even tho I hate apple with a passion and what it stands for, I will not sit here and deny the marketing juggernaut that it is. They have always been better at taking a rock and polishing it and making the apple fanboy believe it and pay a premium for it.

This retinal display is just another marketing "tick mark" that makes apple fanboys feel more elite. I have an evo and its a damn good phone but the iphone 4g will be better because it makes their owners feel special. This is what they do. My boy is an apple fanatic and he sounds just like the commercials, its so annoying and we always get into discussions about apple and what they stand for. Ive come to the conclusion that hes delusional like most apple fans and has been brainwashed by steve jobs.

Point is that we call bs on it but It will sell because of this claim. Whenever jobs says a word, his flock listen and theres nothing anybody can do about it.

serkol

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
I'm just wondering... every pixel is just a combination of 3 sub-pixels (red, green, blue). These red, green and blue sub-pixels are scattered uniformly on the screen - they are not grouped together physically to make physical groups-pixels. So an iPhone screen is basically a uniform net of sub-pixels with density of around 326 * 1.5 = 489; 1.5 here is 2 * 3 / 4 - because you need 4 pixels do double the density in both directions, but we have only 3 (red, blue, gree).

So it looks to me that actual density is 489, and it's slightly above the mentioned 477

bamslang

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
I dislike Apple as much as the next guy, but I do find it funny how people are so willing to accept something if it is said against apple and so quick to dismiss something that is said in favor of apple. I do it myself sometimes too.

As someone in marketing/advertising, it comes as no surprise to me that the statements are over "puffed". Consumers pretend they want the truth, but in reality, truth does not sell. Big flashy buzzwords and undeliverable promises sell goods. One example is 2G v 3G v 4G. I crack up when a friend says something about a product being 3g or 4g and when I ask them what that means, they have no idea. When I tell them G = Generation, it usually follows with a "Oh that's all it means?"

I personally don't care what marketing antics someone uses, as long as their product is good.

wcooper007

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
[citation][nom]silky salamandr[/nom]Everybody is an expert but never has the credentials to prove your anything. This dude has probably 10 solid years of schooling and 20 years of research behind him. So until any of you claim to know anything, put your accomplishments up against his. The moment I heard steve jobs say those words retinal display, I laughed my ass off but knew that the apple fanboys would eat it up. Thats the key to marketing and even tho I hate apple with a passion and what it stands for, I will not sit here and deny the marketing juggernaut that it is. They have always been better at taking a rock and polishing it and making the apple fanboy believe it and pay a premium for it. This retinal display is just another marketing "tick mark" that makes apple fanboys feel more elite. I have an evo and its a damn good phone but the iphone 4g will be better because it makes their owners feel special. This is what they do. My boy is an apple fanatic and he sounds just like the commercials, its so annoying and we always get into discussions about apple and what they stand for. Ive come to the conclusion that hes delusional like most apple fans and has been brainwashed by steve jobs. Point is that we call bs on it but It will sell because of this claim. Whenever jobs says a word, his flock listen and theres nothing anybody can do about it.[/citation]

LMFAO your son is an apple fan boy i am sorry to hear that one of my best freinds was till i personally sat him down and explained to him exactly what an apple is compared to a PC... than he realized that all there is, is seriously outdated software thats the difference nothing else... Ya they make great music players and they make great toys that people also use as a phone. But there computers are crap there IBM's that run a unix based OS.. i used to work at Intel right across the hall from the Apple room and trust me they are using the same crap we are using minus a BIOS

war2k9

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
I don't care what any one say about the screen, you have to see it for yourself and judge if it is better or not.
Job is a sales person for apple product he has to make it sound good in order to get people interested in the product.

guzz46

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Its just so easy to make fun of jobs and apple, i mean who on earth believed him when he claimed the ipad was a better web browsing experience than a laptop

Sure most companies exaggerate somewhat but apple does more than that, they make claims that are just plain false, i don't know how they haven't been sued for false advertising

G

Username's point is well made: Most people on this site--including the writers--gleefully slam Apple and its overpriced products at every opportunity. And yet, they won't think twice about dropping several hundred bucks on hardware upgrades in order to score an extra 10 fps in Crysis.

I have an older-than-dirt Mac, a new Mac and several PCs. They all have their benefits & their drawbacks.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
Jobs is wrong, it's bloody obvious. Unless the pixels are smaller than specs of dust, I don't believe it, since, I can see specs of dust floating around several inches in front of my face...

vfighter

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]darkwingz24[/nom]24FPS is the threshold where a series of still images looks like motion, not the limit of the eye. So the more FPS the more fluid it looks. That is not to to be confused with the eyes ability to see flicker which is 50-60Hz. Thats why movies in the theatre are filmed at 24FPS (for motion) but the projector shows each frame twice at 48Hz to eliminate flicker.[/citation]
Movie projectors don't show each frame twice. Standard film is shot in 24FPS and projected at 24FPS.

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
[citation][nom]gskwared[/nom]I tend to believe the guy that has a PH.D. in theoretical physics from Princeton than a toolbag that had a PH.D. in turtleneck's[/citation]

Awesome comment hahaha +1

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
[citation][nom]wcooper007[/nom]LMFAO your son is an apple fan boy i am sorry to hear that one of my best freinds was till i personally sat him down and explained to him exactly what an apple is compared to a PC... than he realized that all there is, is seriously outdated software thats the difference nothing else... Ya they make great music players and they make great toys that people also use as a phone. But there computers are crap there IBM's that run a unix based OS.. i used to work at Intel right across the hall from the Apple room and trust me they are using the same crap we are using minus a BIOS[/citation]

My "boy" is a term that we use for our friend where im from. So I shoulda been more clear and used proper english in an online fourm.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]vfighter[/nom]Movie projectors don't show each frame twice. Standard film is shot in 24FPS and projected at 24FPS.[/citation]

Um, YES they do. Each frame is shown twice to reduce percieved flicker caused by the projector gate. There are still only 24 distinct images being shown every second, but they each get shown two times.

vfighter

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]Um, YES they do. Each frame is shown twice to reduce percieved flicker caused by the projector gate. There are still only 24 distinct images being shown every second, but they each get shown two times.[/citation]
How are they doing this? Run the film through, stop it, reverse it, and run it through again? For every frame?! Please link a schematic of how a modern movie theater film projector works. I would love to see how this works. When film is transferred to video it goes through a process known as telecine to change it from 24FPS to 30FPS and not make everything look sped up. But normal movie projectors do not double project each film frame.
Two specialty formats show film at 48FPS, Showscan and Maxivision. But the film is designed to run at 48FPS, in otherwords 48 individual frames per second. No film projector double projects a single frame.

vfighter

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Ok, nevermind, I take it back. Through the use of a shutter the same frame is repeated. After that the film is advanced through the projector head to the next frame.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]christopherknapp[/nom]Precisely. But one thing that you haven't accounted for is the amount of Apple hating wankers on this website that continue to thumbs dumb anything related to Apple products being decent. Prove to me that the display is junk, please someone show me on paper and in practice that this is not one of the best displays on any phone ever. I am begging you facking wankers to come forward with FACTS not your stinking opinion.[/citation]

when was the last time anyone bought an Apple product based on 'FACTS' and 'technical specs' and 'logic'

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I said it once and I'll say it again: "Apple blatantly exaggerates to the point of lying, the capabilities of its product in it's promotion" IS NOT NEWS.

all companies do it, Apple are by far the worst at it. case study: "the ipad is magical" so, 2 million ipad owners, how many of you have seen it pull a rabbit out of a hat?

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
i agree. with their numbers, someone can put the phone far enough to get that retina display.
if apple was generous enough, they could have used OLED. maybe, next generation though.

[citation][nom]ethanolson[/nom]Any display is a "retina" display from the right distance.[/citation]

brianmoz

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
oh indignation how dare he!! Yeah companies bs all the time. The more you guys get riled up about apple the more lame you sound

Status
Not open for further replies.