Expert Says iPhone's 'Retina' Display Claim is False

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Tomorrow, we'll hear about how Raymond Soneira had his doors kicked in by REACT.[/citation]
I heard Apple hired the A-Team.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/10/iphone-4s-retina-display-claim-put-under-the-math-microscope/

As ever, things are correct by degrees. Phil Plait who similarly has a PH.D and worked on a camera for the Hubble telescope says Soneira's 477 pixels per inch figure is correct for those with perfect vision. However, for most people, Steve Jobs' claim of a 300 pixels per inch visual barrier is true. So they are both right in their own way.

G

Way to delete my comment, tomshardware writers. The truth hurts, doesn't it?

G

Apple should call it the "reasonably close to being perfect display" instead of retina display to avoid hurting Soneira's feelings.

greenprince

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
i don't know anything about how many pixel can capture by human eyes. But i only know whatever steve said about their new screen is the best. people just clapping their hands. whatever steve said their 5 mega pixel camera is better than other's 8 mega pixel. people clapping their hands.........I only know that is full of shit

tinnerdxp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
LOL... That's a "NEWS"! AS if that was the first time SJ said BS in front of people about his crappy stuff and called it "amazing" or "new"... :))))

bboysil

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
He offered an example, saying that Sharp's four-primary-color claim with the Quattron TV line is utter nonsense because all movie and television content is produced and color balanced using the traditional RGB
Not entirely true IMO, if you have the RGB image, you can get a better yellow on different RGB combinations by using a separate yellow channel on the display! e.g. you have R and G at a high value and B at a low value => you get extra rezolution in the yellows + you can get a wider color gamut.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]ltcommander_data[/nom]http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/10 [...] icroscope/As ever, things are correct by degrees. Phil Plait who similarly has a PH.D and worked on a camera for the Hubble telescope says Soneira's 477 pixels per inch figure is correct for those with perfect vision. However, for most people, Steve Jobs' claim of a 300 pixels per inch visual barrier is true. So they are both right in their own way.[/citation]

So the target demographic of the iPad is the elderly people?

G

"The point is 100 fps means the game also updates user input at 100 times per second..."

"User input" isn't dictated by graphics output. Think about what you're saying. The fact that your graphics card can only update your screen 30 times per second has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that your mouse sends input 1000 times per second.

axekick

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[Although the fourth yellow primary is now included in the Quattron series, it will have nothing to do because yellow is created using mixtures of red and green primaries.]

Since when is green a primary color?

Rest assured I am not defending Apple's claims, nor would I ever.

G

Jobs is full of it. OLED uses less power and has a better refresh rate. There is a company called eMagin that has an OLED chip that packs 1280x1024 into the size of a quarter. also most LCD pixel's can't really do 60 fps without some of the pixels performing worse than 60fps and if they filmed movies at 60fps instead of 24fps then fast moving scenes would actually look good instead of a flickering mess. So give iTunes a rest and try EJukebox.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]pei-chen[/nom]I want to know what the 40 Princeton PH.D. that was hired by Sharp have to say.This reminds me of the proof that the lying professor at Southern Illinois University given on ABC news about Toyota brakes.[/citation]

Actually....those 40 Princeton Ph.D's that Sharp hired probably told Sharp that they were openly lying to consumers and that they were opening themselves up for legal problems.

About the Professor and the Toyota throttle claim....he was both right and wrong. He did happen to point out a problem with the "fly-by-wire" throttle system....just so happens that it's not the problem that Toyota is having. Also happens that the particular problem he pointed out can't possibly be fixed without replacing the "fly-by-wire" system with a direct drive cable as used in previous years. Just an FYI....Honda is the one having brake problems, not Toyota. Honda publicly admitted to their brake problems a few months ago even though no problems had been reported to the US Department of Transportation by consumers.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]axekick[/nom][Although the fourth yellow primary is now included in the Quattron series, it will have nothing to do because yellow is created using mixtures of red and green primaries.] Since when is green a primary color?Rest assured I am not defending Apple's claims, nor would I ever.[/citation]

Green has always been a primary color in the light spectrum...hense RGB.

G

This article is bullshit. Have you seen one of these displays? They're outstanding. Additionally, at a normal viewing distance, the PPI of the retina display reduces a pixel to about 1 arc minute, which is what a typical 20/20 eye can discern as a single point. View details here: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2010/06/10/resolving-the-iphone-resolution/ I'd hate to call myself a fanboy, but on the other hand, the display is such a gorgeous feat of engineering, it seems degrading to dismiss it's "retina display" moniker as "mere puffery".

G

AFAIK the HD video standards use YCC or xvYCC Color Spaces - not RGB. The display must do a simple color space conversion to the primaries - whatever it uses. It just must maintain the color accuracy defined on the standard. If you have 4 primaries you'll be able to display a wide gamut rather than using 3. Or even improve the display's efficiency maintaining the gamut range. Basically it's essentially an algoritm matter because the information can be there, maybe not on today's available materials, but we shouldn't forget that the films have wider gamuts than the traditional displays so, let's wait to qualify Quattron a Market Puffery.

Status
Not open for further replies.