Solved! ExpressCard to CardBus Adapter with Windows 10 - System freeze

dreamfellar

Commendable
Oct 14, 2019
Hello,

I am trying to get an ExpressCard to CardBus Adapter working with HP Elitebook 8540w Windows 10 Home 64 bit. The complete system freezes the moment I insert the adapter in the ExpressCard slot. Can anyone please suggest what might be going wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Solution
Those devices typically can use generic drivers, so that shouldn't be an issue. Regarding the new device, defective devices are sold all of the time (unfortunately).

When the device is inserted to a running system, does Windows make any of the normal detected device tones?

Also, if inserted into a powered down system, will the system power on and recognize it then (from a cold start)?

dreamfellar

Commendable
Oct 14, 2019
Unfortunately I don't have another machine with ExpressCard slot to test the adapter. The adapter is ordered brand new recently, so it should in principle work. A few relavant things:
  1. The vendor website does not mention Windows 10 as supported, but Windows 7 is mentioned. Can this be a problem?
  2. I couldn't find any separate listing in the device manager for ExpressCard slot. Is it because the driver is not installed? Am I missing something?
Device Manager does mention "Ricoh R/RL/5C476(II) or Compatible CardBus Controller" under "PCMCIA adapters" though.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Those devices typically can use generic drivers, so that shouldn't be an issue. Regarding the new device, defective devices are sold all of the time (unfortunately).

When the device is inserted to a running system, does Windows make any of the normal detected device tones?

Also, if inserted into a powered down system, will the system power on and recognize it then (from a cold start)?

Reactions: dreamfellar
Solution