Solved! HP laptop not booting up

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamfellar

Commendable
Oct 14, 2019
Hello,

My rather old HP Elitebook 8540w is not starting up. It seems to get in a boot loop and the screen remains blank. Nothing was changed recently which might have caused this.

Since it does not contain original HDD, the HP recovery partition is not there either. I tried to create a BIOS recovery USB flash drive with firmware version F.0F (I'm almost certain this was the BIOS version before failure, though I've also tried version F.60 Rev.A without any success).

If the laptop is started up with power key+Windows key+v, then LED on USB flash drive lits up and WiFi LED turns blue. But it does not proceed and screen remains blank.

If it's started up with power key+Windows key+b then caps lock LED starts blinking every second. The fan starts spinning rapidly, but the screen remains blank.

Can anyone suggest what might be going wrong? Is it possible for me to fix it at home?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Last edited:
Solution
Good chance motherboard failed. Remove the battery and CMOS battery from the motherboard, hold in the power button for 30 seconds, plug in only wall power and see if it turns on. If not, remove the RAM and try turning it on, if there are no error beeps or flashing then it's very likely motherboard is dead.
Good chance motherboard failed. Remove the battery and CMOS battery from the motherboard, hold in the power button for 30 seconds, plug in only wall power and see if it turns on. If not, remove the RAM and try turning it on, if there are no error beeps or flashing then it's very likely motherboard is dead.

Reactions: dreamfellar
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.