external 1070 gpu on laptop

0Void0

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016
i'm going to connect it to a mini PCIe what's the performance that i'm going to get? like a performance of a 1060 980ti 980 etc

Solution
*Potentially won't support it. Unless you can find confirmation of someone else doing it successfully (and, realistically, very few people even try it!), it's impossible to know.

If it works, it should be better than integrated graphics 99% of the time, absolutely.

n0ns3ns3

Commendable
May 25, 2016
significance of the drop you are going to see in performance depending on the PCIe version you have.
for PCIe 2.0 it will be dropping by more than half.
for PCIe 3.0 it's going to be somewhat better.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_5870_PCI-Express_Scaling/ you can have it here.

0Void0

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016

what do you mean by get it up and running ? it's simple PSU + this piece https://goo.gl/xNYGI6
and i read in this same site that if u get a 980 u will get a performance of 960

please tell me what i'm missing here?

0Void0

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016

it's 2.0 so if i'm supposed to get 100 frames i'll get 50 frames right?

Potentially BIOS support. It *should* be plug & play (ish), but there are potential pitfalls too.

For example, look at the comments section of the Amazon link you posted:

"Already known computer that don't compatible with it is as below:
Lenovo E530,L430,E43,U410, E49, K49
HP 5310M HP H533OM 6910
ASUS N55SF N75 ACPI ASUS A53XI241SV-SL X8dij K53SD
China ui45 EVI4
Haier T68
Acer 4739z"

All of those laptops have the physical mPCIe interface.... but they're not compatible. I would assume that's due to lack of BIOS support

0Void0

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016

mmm what's BIOS support ? can you explain please :)

0Void0

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016

look skip the whole BIOS support thing let's say it works i just need to know what would the performance be like that's it

Your actual laptop BIOS. If your laptop didn't come with a discreet GPU, then there's always the chance it won't be able to recognize one - even it did come with a discreet GPU. laptop BIOSs are usually unique and designed to incorporate the limited configurations available in the product line - and those components only (it's why socket-socket match CPUs don't always work when upgrading a laptop).

Older, basic cards (like for a second/third monitor etc) wouldn't see too much of a performance drop when used at x1.
Something as new/powerful as a 1070 though, I'd fully expect that to be crippled beyond any real usefulness (especially for the price it'll cost).

0Void0

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016

so it doesn't matter whether you buy for example a gtx 960 or a 1070 cuz your BIOS wouldn't support an external GPU anyway because it's limited to specific configurations. (i think i got it :p )

but it would still provide a better performance than the "basic" one right? beside i can use the same card in the future for a desktop build, so its worth the price in my opinion.

*Potentially won't support it. Unless you can find confirmation of someone else doing it successfully (and, realistically, very few people even try it!), it's impossible to know.

If it works, it should be better than integrated graphics 99% of the time, absolutely.

Solution