External GPU (Laptop)

Grant_King_Tech

Estimable
Jun 6, 2015
My laptop has an Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 GPU. I know, this is horrible compared to other graphics cards, especially those made by NVIDIA or AMD. Anyways, I was hoping someone could reply with a few tips or two on how to optimize my GPU so it will work better. Otherwise, could anyone explain to me what an external GPU is?

I apologize if my terminology is awful, I am quite new to this computing world.

Solution
You cannot upgrade a integrated card on a laptop, because it is basically glued to the motherboard. Many laptops do not allow upgrade-ability (I have found that Asus, Dell, Lenovo, and MSI allows you to upgrade RAM, hard drives, and add a SSD in nearly most of their laptops). The only option is to buy a whole new laptop.

I am not really sure what an external GPU is, nor have I heard about it, so maybe someone else here knows what it is?

Gamer Cat

Estimable
May 11, 2015
You cannot upgrade a integrated card on a laptop, because it is basically glued to the motherboard. Many laptops do not allow upgrade-ability (I have found that Asus, Dell, Lenovo, and MSI allows you to upgrade RAM, hard drives, and add a SSD in nearly most of their laptops). The only option is to buy a whole new laptop.

I am not really sure what an external GPU is, nor have I heard about it, so maybe someone else here knows what it is?

Solution

Grant_King_Tech

Estimable
Jun 6, 2015

Thanks, this really helped! Though, I probably shouldn't be happy, because that means I will be needing a new PC. Basically, my PC handles games alright, but I was hoping there could be a solution.
By external GPU, I mean hardware that could be connected to your computer from the outside and could act as a GPU. I don't know if that exists, though.

Any tips on how to improve GPU efficiency?

Grant_King_Tech

Estimable
Jun 6, 2015

Thanks, this really helps!

There is a way to use an external (desktop) GPU with a laptop, but it is not an elegant solution; meaning you will have electronics laying around because the device that allows you to use a desktop GPU does not include a case for it. Your laptop must have a mini PCI-e port and it is typically used by a removable wireless card. If there is no spare mini PCI-e port, then naturally you need to remove your wireless card to use a desktop GPU.

See linked video for a quick setup and a link to the device itself which costs $50. Before buying the device make sure that your laptop is listed as one of the tested laptop from the seller's site, otherwise you will be making a $50 game plus the cost of the GPU if you do not have a spare desktop GPU laying around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP_8EYQ-2RA

http://www.banggood.com/EXP-GDC-Laptop-External-PCI-E-Graphics-Card-p-934367.html