External Microphone Is Being Identified But Will Still Only Use Laptop Mic

Ethan_Hopp

Prominent
Feb 8, 2017
I bought a new mic because my laptop mic sucks. i plugged it in and i will get recognized, but it still wont work. Please help.

Solution
If your microphone isn't working, try the following...

1. Go to "Control Panel".
2. Click on "Sound".
3. Click the "Recording" tab.
4. Click on the device you are trying to fix.
5. Now click the "Configure" button and then click "Set up Microphone".
6. Once that is complete, click the "Properties" button.
7. When you are done with your changes, in "Properties", click "Apply" and then "OK".
8. Then click "OK", again, on the main "Sound window".

NOTE: If the 3.5mm jack you are trying to use it in is actually an output one, and not an input one, then there is no way to fix that. To use the microphone you would need to get a 3.5mm to USB adapter to use it.
If your microphone isn't working, try the following...

1. Go to "Control Panel".
2. Click on "Sound".
3. Click the "Recording" tab.
4. Click on the device you are trying to fix.
5. Now click the "Configure" button and then click "Set up Microphone".
6. Once that is complete, click the "Properties" button.
7. When you are done with your changes, in "Properties", click "Apply" and then "OK".
8. Then click "OK", again, on the main "Sound window".

NOTE: If the 3.5mm jack you are trying to use it in is actually an output one, and not an input one, then there is no way to fix that. To use the microphone you would need to get a 3.5mm to USB adapter to use it.

Solution

Tonycccc

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
My External Mic works.! I have a X550C Asus and had the same problem....Plug in...it is reconised....it cuts out internal mic.....but does not work regardless of drivers...splitters.....settings...etc etc etc....HOWEVER, IF YOU withdraw the pin by about 3-4 mm IT WORKS PERFECTLY. So the issue is the actual jack plug socket. The issue now is securing the plug. It is fairly secure but does not take much to dilodge it, so I use a small piece of blue tac which is enough to hold in place. OK...not a professional solution...but it works.