External monitor wont open

Miao23

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016
I didn't really know how to word the title as I'm in a bit of an odd situation. My laptop screen is pretty much destroyed but I use an external monitor for it. I wanted to grab the free windows 10 upgrade before it expired but couldn't because it would only use the laptop screen during the installation. I took the hard drive out of that one, put it in my main laptop and installed windows 10 on there as someone else suggested. I went ahead and hooked the monitor to that one and made sure it worked fine, which it did (had to update a driver though).

I put the hard drive back in the old laptop (the one with the broken screen) and waited a while then blindy put in my password(as I can't see anything) I had set and attempted to hit the key that makes it open the other monitor(forgot the name) but nothing happened.

Is there something the laptop needs to do that might take a hour or so on its own since I installed windows 10 using another computer before I can use the monitor or is this a no go situation and I've no choice but to get a replacement screen?

---

Updating because no one can help apparently. Updated laptop to windows 10 by taking the hard drive out and putting it in another laptop. The screen on the original was broke so that's how i had to do it. Putting it back and it wont do anything when I plug in the external screen. Doesn't even make a noise like it detected the screen. What do I do?

Miao23

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

I used an external monitor the whole time before and don't mind to. Is there no way to force it over to the external one?