Extremely slow shut down speeds.

emj503

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
Everything's been great had this machine for about a month a half now custom built. But I recently made the switch over from tuneup utilities to advanced system optimizer, and my computer is taking several minutes to shut down every time it doesn't matter what i'm doing if the computer has been on for a long time or only a few minutes. it's getting on my nerves because I can't figure out what the problem is I've thoroughly gone through aso settings and it hasn't got any better. I haven't actually sat there and counted how long it takes to shut down but i'd say its upwards of 5 minutes most the time. i've thought about even doing a fresh install of my operating system. I only made the switch over to because almost every website I read recommended aos over tune up utilities 9 times out of ten. any insight would be great.

yes I also defrag nearly every week.
yes I run crap cleaner.
yes I have firewall/antivirus/malware.

Solution
no if your system is fine than you are done installing many applications also slows down pc and reduces free space if you want to know about anything else i will tell u..

silentplanner

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013

Press Winkey +’R’ and type ‘Regedit’ which brings you to the Registry Editor;
Follow” HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control and then look to the right to find WaitToKillServiceTimeOut and double click on it. You can enter a value from 2 to 20000, each value representing a millisecond. Two seconds would be 2000; and
Again click OK and then simply exit the program; it will be saved automatically.

emj503

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

I tried exactly how you said to do it at first, didn't yield much better results so I started lowering in increments all the way down to about 200 and it is still not getting better. I'm thinking something got corrupted maybe between switching up from tune up utilities to advance system optimizer because right after that is when it started happening. i'm just spinning my head at this I actually sat there and counted how long it took last night and it was well over 5 minutes. which is just obscene. any other ideas would greatly be appreciated. my heads just spinning at this.

emj503

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

I agree, I'm getting ready to do the fresh install right as we speak. I'm not worried about security, but what should I do besides run ccleaner daily and defraggler every week or two?

emj503

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

I know about all the features in msconfig for start up programs and services don't need to waste your breath on that, just things I can do to manually optimize and maintain my system besides ccleaner and defraggler.

emj503

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

Sweet man, I got everything up and running I'm just going to run CCleaner from now on and I also got the automated disk defragmenter scheduled it was already installed on windows after I did the fresh os install. as for everything else i'm running zone alarm free firewall as well avast free and malwarebytes. if theirs anything else or something better please don't hesitate to let me know. much appreciated.

emj503

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

I think thats it, much appreciated.