F Keys Not working in Samsung NP300E4A Laptop

alynur

Estimable
Aug 12, 2015
I am trying to get into the boot menu on startup but none of the F keys have any affect on startup. I've tried the F2 key F4 key F10 key F11 key and F12 keys. At one point the F4 key got me into the bios settings but hasn't worked again since. Is this a bad keyboard or is it something else? Is there anything I can do or try? This machine has Windows 10 Pro installed on it.

Solution
You may have set it to use the "Fast boot/Startup" which makes it pretty much impossible to enter BIOS until that is turned back off. Here are a few ways to turn it off.

Try this...

You will need to disable "Fast Boot/Startup" from the power button menu. The power button can be used if you encounter Fast Boot/Startup problems.

1. Make sure the laptop is turned off. Not in Hibernate or Sleep mode.

2. Press the power button and hold it down. The system should emit three short beeps from the speaker, or headphones if you have them plugged in.

3. After the beeps, release the power button 'before' the 4-second shutdown override.

4. The power button menu should now display.

5. Press F3 to disable Fast Boot/Startup and you should be...
You may have set it to use the "Fast boot/Startup" which makes it pretty much impossible to enter BIOS until that is turned back off. Here are a few ways to turn it off.

Try this...

You will need to disable "Fast Boot/Startup" from the power button menu. The power button can be used if you encounter Fast Boot/Startup problems.

1. Make sure the laptop is turned off. Not in Hibernate or Sleep mode.

2. Press the power button and hold it down. The system should emit three short beeps from the speaker, or headphones if you have them plugged in.

3. After the beeps, release the power button 'before' the 4-second shutdown override.

4. The power button menu should now display.

5. Press F3 to disable Fast Boot/Startup and you should be able to access BIOS now.

To enable Fast Startup:

1. When the laptop boots up, enter the BIOS setup by pressing "F2".
2. Now go to the "Boot Configuration menu".
3. Choose the "Enable Fast Boot/Startup".
4. Press F10 to save the changes and exit.

To Turn On or Off Fast Startup in System Settings...

1. Go to 'Control Panel' and click on the "Power Options icon".
2. Click "Choose what the power buttons do" on the left side.
3. Click "Change settings that are currently unavailable".
4. If prompted by UAC (User Account Control), click "Yes".
5. Do step 6 or step 7 below for what you would like to do.

6. To Turn On Fast Startup.
6a. Under "Shutdown settings", check the "Turn on fast startup box", click "Save changes", and go to step 8 below.

7. To Turn Off Fast Startup.
7a. Under "Shutdown settings", uncheck the "Turn on fast startup box", click "Save changes", and go to step 8 below.

8. You can now close the 'System Settings' window.

Note: If the "Turn on fast startup" setting is not listed, then you will need to close the "System Settings" window, enable "hibernate", and then start over at step 1 again.

Solution