Facebook Acquires Oculus VR, Takes Poking to the Next Level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Hmmm... was also a bit of my 1st feeling upon reading this. 1st off hoping it was a sick joke!But I Do trust in Palmer Luckey passion for VR and his direction he built the company. I do not believe for any amount of money he would completely sell out - especially given how things and events have developed till now.As long as he set in place the right conditions on this purchase, this could still be a Very Good thing for Oculus VR. I am hoping he accepted this primarily not for the money, but to help further the projects success.(still sad it ended up in the hands of FaceBook ::shivers:: )

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
TOM's PLEASE PLEASE, enable recognition of Carriage Return (Enter) character for the comments. **********************These kind of all too regular poor schoolboy coding letdowns are getting Very Boring !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James Mason

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Seriously, I was reading the "what is the oculus rift" article (I already knew just wanted to read) and i let out a verbal "oh no" as soon as I read the facebook had bought it out... Great way to ruin new technology facebook, noone wants to play farm ville with virtual reality headsets.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I completely agree. I was so onboard with this until I found out that the master thief of Facebook bought it. I'll be throwing my whole support behind Morpheus now.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
"Oh no! Facebook owns Oculus! Suddenly the product is awful!" Really? It's just money, and now Oculus have a bucketload of cash to cement their product and compete. How is Facebook owning it a problem?Or do you not watch Pulp Fiction because Miramax is owned by Disney?IF Facebook start messing with Oculus to do virtual reality Timelines and NOTHING MORE then yes there's something to complain about. But instantly dismissing something you've been interested in just because the new owner is Facebook is pretty childish.However, it does seem to be a little bit of a sellout by Oculus to sell to Facebook of all people - did they need the money after all? Is John Carmack content to leave id Software and now be a Facebook subsidiary?

Impatienc3

Estimable
Feb 27, 2014
"Oh no! Facebook owns Oculus! Suddenly the product is awful!" Really? It's just money, and now Oculus have a bucketload of cash to cement their product and compete. How is Facebook owning it a problem?Or do you not watch Pulp Fiction because Miramax is owned by Disney?IF Facebook start messing with Oculus to do virtual reality Timelines and NOTHING MORE then yes there's something to complain about. But instantly dismissing something you've been interested in just because the new owner is Facebook is pretty childish.However, it does seem to be a little bit of a sellout by Oculus to sell to Facebook of all people - did they need the money after all? Is John Carmack content to leave id Software and now be a Facebook subsidiary?
Maybe the issue is because the whole Oculus Rift VR thing was a kickstarter? Paid for by the community.. And now it's popular, Facebook (a company that has only cares for it's userbase numbers) decides to buy it. If Facebook listened to it's users and acted upon it, or sorted out their ad-sharing tactics (including that new "feature" of only displaying a few of your most contacted friends in the news feed unless the others PAY to make sure it's on all their friends news feeds.) I'm sure that people would be feeling a bit better about the situation..

Impatienc3

Estimable
Feb 27, 2014
Maybe the issue is because the whole Oculus Rift VR thing was a kickstarter? Paid for by the community.. And now it's popular, Facebook (a company that has only cares for it's userbase numbers) decides to buy it. If Facebook listened to it's users and acted upon it, or sorted out their ad-sharing tactics (including that new "feature" of only displaying a few of your most contacted friends in the news feed unless the others PAY to make sure it's on all their friends news feeds.) I'm sure that people would be feeling a bit better about the situation..

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Granted I did forget about Kickstarter, but there will be legal measures in place to ensure Oculus make good on their contractual obligations. I'm not a big fan of Facebook swooping in and buying up anything that looks funky, but in very real terms all this ill feeling is nothing more than tech snobbery. If Oculus have $2bn to get their product out and done well then we all win. Passing it up just because it's now a Facebook company is childish and just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Status
Not open for further replies.