Facebook CEO Accused of Securities Fraud

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
What's retarded is that people bitch about Facebook, when it's all a choice. You CHOOSE to use it, and you have the choice of deleting it as well. You also choose to give away your information, theoretically knowing full well (in this day and age especially) it could be misused.

Is Facebook evil/immoral/blah blah etc? Sure, whatever you want to call it. But at the end of the day, ydiy.

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
I'm a hermit. What is facebook? Sounds like crap. Literally.

Kidding aside someone post that picture from Jane's article so that facebook user's can have a long look at the person they entrusted their lives with.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]graymen[/nom]So these schmucks are unhappy with a 65 million dollar settlement that turned out to be "only" 32.5 million dollars. Why don't you quit crying over the money you didn't get and take what you got and go do something innovative with it! If you "supposedly" were smart enough to be the original designers of thefacebook when you had ZERO money as college students then now that you are millionaires you should be able to design a space shuttle to mars out of tooth picks!The point is, quit whining and go do something productive with your millions![/citation]

If you had $100, and you found out you only really had $50, you'd be pissed.

Grow up.

noobiggie

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
You know who's behind all this? The guy everybody's forgotten and never suspects...the guy from Myspace, TOM!!! What a genius!

fusion_gtx

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
If you had $100, and you found out you only really had $50, you'd be pissed.
I don't think it really applies the same way. You can still easily live off of 32.5 million. A person could not live off of $50. Take it this way, if someone told me I won $16 million, then said wait no it was really $8 million, I'd still be happy. In the end $8 million is still a lot of money that I don't have today.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
[citation][nom]graymen[/nom]If you "supposedly" were smart enough to be the original designers of thefacebook when you had ZERO money as college students then now that you are millionaires you should be able to design a space shuttle to mars out of tooth picks![/citation]

So if somebody hands me $25 million, I'll instantly become a genius?

G

If I'm reading it right, the source code back then helped put Facebook on the map and get used on the Internet and start the word spreading...no source code, no Facebook v1, no actual users who tell others about it...to grow it to what it is today. Zuckerberg needed both the idea and its implementation (source code) to get his idea off the ground and make him and Facebook to what it is today, warts and all.

Technically though, I agree Facebook isn't all that...you add text and upload photos for all to see (even if you don't want everyone to see it? :) )...big whoop...that's pretty much all Facebook does. The real success is cultural, which seems less related to techbnology than PR, "buzz", and marketing, coupled with an a recent cultural irrational need for us to let the world know what we're doing (which I don't generally agree with, I never want to be "that important" and I feel much of the stuff on FB I see either isn't anyone's business or we have no business knowing about) and in making FB scale so it can handle the number of people using it. Think about it, if FB has 100 people using it total, even with the same technical "capability" it has today, nobody would care. XXX millions of users, now people care.

I for one sure wouldn't want the FB team designing our Space Shuttle! 3-2-1---liftoff---oh, we "had a staff meeting" and decided on our own to change the shuttle to include tons of Mountain Dew on board, and we didn't feel we needed to mention the changes we made. Why didn't it leave the launch pad?

As for the $64M vs $32M settlement, I see both points, it's a lot of money...However, it may not be as much as you'd think... $32M divided by 3 people = $10.6M each...assume 50% in attorney fees, now it's $5.3M each. Take off 30% for taxes, this leaves $3.7M net per "former Zuckerberg friend". My swags in attorney fees and taxes certainly could be off, and $3.7M is still a lot of money to me. But if I felt my "former friend Zuckerberg" scre*ed me over the years by stealing my idea and implementation, and then added insult to injury by deliberately misleading me about the settlement by 50% and that I had a legitimate case, why not fight the good fight, especially with the $3.7M in our three respective pockets?

G

▂▃▅▅▅▃▂     ▲◢◤▀◥◣▃ ▍◢◤
       ▂▅▓▓▅██████▇▅◢██▀   〓 ★ 〓
      ◢▓▓▅███■▀████▓▓█◤    ◢◤ ▍◥◣
    ◢▓▓▆███▀▐ ▊▀▓▀█▓  ▓▲
   ◢▓▓▆██▀ ▼▍▍▲▌▐▓◥█▓▓██◣
 ▃ ▓▆███▓ ▍▎▌▍▍▼▍▌▓ █████▅
▐█▓█████▃▼▌▐ ▐ ▌▍▼ ◢█████▓█◣
█▊■██████◣▓ ▌▍▲◥◤ ▅██████▓█▊
◥■ ████████▅▼▀▃▆███████▓▓▼
◢█▲▓████████▆█▀▓▓▓█■▀▓▓▓█▅
███▓▓▀██■▀     ▀■▓▓█▓▓▓▓███
▐██◣▓▓■▀   ▍▎     ▀■▓▓▓▓█■▀
  ▀■◢▅▂▅▃ ▐ ▍ ▃▅▂▃▅ ▼◢▓██◤
    ▌ ▀█■▆▓▓▇■█■▀  ▲█▀
    ▲▀▓◣▀ ◢▍ ▐◣▀ ◢〓◤ ◢■▀
    ◢▓█◣ ◥〓▌ ▐◥〓◤  ▃▓◢▉
  ▐▓█▓◣  ◢▍  ▂◣   ◢▓███▋
   ███▓▓ ▐◣▃▅█▅  ▃▓████
   ▼██▆▇█▅ ▀██▅▓▓▓████
   ▀███■▀   ◥▌▀■▇█■▀
    ███▀▓▓〓▃〓▓▓▀■▀
    ▀■▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓〓▀
        ▀■▓▓〓▀

jettc

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
It doesn't surprise me at all that from the start of the whole facebook era there were underhanded and shady deals amongst the creators. Any and everyone with any evil minded inclinations are brainstorming on how to use and abuse people with the internet. That's why I don't even allow myself or my kids to go anywhere near facebook, myspace, or craigslist. These are breeding grounds for all sorts of criminal and, yes, even evil activities. Just listen to the news all over the country/world, and you'll see and hear for yourself about the unfortunate, unsuspecting victims. Children and young adults are most at risk, because they cause and allow things to happen without thinking it through and realizing that almost always there are consequences for everything we do in this world.

Status
Not open for further replies.