Facebook Could Possibly Buy Top Chat App WhatsApp

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
[citation]The application, which doesn't feature any advertisements [...][/citation]

This is one of the reasons for its success. If FB buys it, there you go with a ton of "featured" texts, your personal stuff and files being forwarded to third parties and boom! WhatsApp fades into oblivion.

weierstrass

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]How is it free in Android but not in iOS?How about Blackberry?[/citation]
It's not free, it is a free trial. Go to Settings -> Account -> Payment info and you will see the expiration date. Android users will probably have to start paying per year.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
[citation][nom]mrmaia[/nom][citation]The application, which doesn't feature any advertisements [...][/citation]This is one of the reasons for its success. If FB buys it, there you go with a ton of "featured" texts, your personal stuff and files being forwarded to third parties and boom! WhatsApp fades into oblivion.[/citation]
The hope of a buying company is that the new advertisements aren't annoying enough to offset the inconvenience of switching (with all your friends) to another place for chat.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
[citation][nom]dotaloc[/nom]The hope of a buying company is that the new advertisements aren't annoying enough to offset the inconvenience of switching (with all your friends) to another place for chat.[/citation]

Except when that company is Facebook and they need to climb back from a deep stock price hole.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
F* Facebook... they are ruining everything ... frigging hate having to do anything with them,....

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Nobody in my social circles use this that I know of. I was about to get it for staff until iOS 5 came out and introduced iMessage.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Not defending facebook or anything, but if they get away with this crap, and the devs of WhatsApp sell out, it will probably make facebook shares sky rocket their prices. Sure this news seems nice for facebook investors.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Do not sell to facebook, they screw up everything !

Also why would I want facebook to spy on my text messages?

Don't run a good thing. Start Charging those Android bums. Not fair I had to pay $1 for it and the Android users get it for free.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
WhatsApp annoys the hell out of me. Almost everyone I know uses it, but it doesn't work on a computer, which is the only platform I'm willing to use. I ended up installing BlueStacks, but it's a bit buggy, very memory hoggish, and I have to leave it open to receive messages on WhatsApp.

I wish everyone would just use something that's cross-platform compatible, like Skype. Oh well, maybe if Facebook acquires WhatsApp it'll become natively usable on PC, even if it's only browser based. I'd much rather have it in a browser than inside an Android emulator.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
WhatsApp offers a decent and ads free service for a reasonable price. Like many people, I prefer to pay 1€/year than have a robot scanning my private messages to push ads on me...
If Facebook's psychopath CEO buys it, I'll uninstall it...
[citation][nom]shqtth[/nom]Not fair I had to pay $1 for it and the Android users get it for free.[/citation]
It's only free for the first years, after that, Android and Win8 users pay too...

G

is ads free in the beginning just to get it so popular so big shark like Facebook or twitter will buy it off with billions dollar in cash.

G

is ads free in the beginning just to get it so popular so big shark like Facebook or twitter will buy it off with billions dollar in cash.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
If FB buys it, then it'll surely die a quick death with tons of FB forced feature implement into it. Looks like it's time to move to LINE or something else.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Never heard of this app and I am still in school. Oh well guess I am not the targeted audience for this junk. I do just fine with calling people and talking to them face to face preferably. Rather not deal with texting when I can.

kryzzay

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]assasin32[/nom]Never heard of this app and I am still in school. Oh well guess I am not the targeted audience for this junk. I do just fine with calling people and talking to them face to face preferably. Rather not deal with texting when I can.[/citation]

Congratulations. Want a medal?

Status
Not open for further replies.