Facebook Faces $15 Billion Class-Action Suit Over Privacy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnUSA

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
I hate Facebook.
I wish them all the worse and failure.
I would love to see them fail big time and go bankrupt tomorrow.
I also hate all the crooked investors and bankers who backed this evil company.
May they all go and burn in hell.

kristoffe

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
I like facebook. It's fun and I love meeting new friends and seeing old ones all over the world where they are. Then again I'm not stupid enough to add 500 apps and put incriminating information on my account. People are just technologically impaired and they're mad that technology is allowing their bad actions to come to light. It's a public arena like a bar, club or bus stop. You wouldn't brag about getting high, stealing money, cheating, or wanting to be some psychotic militia man out openly, and if you didn't, why would you care?

people are seeing greed and green, simple as that. greedy fat americans and germans in this list (obviously) wanting a piece of the pork so they don't have to work for a living.

oink oink you f$t b4st4rds.

zulutech

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Yeah, because a judge is totally going to allow $15B in damages. Lawyers are getting bolder and farther out of touch with reality by the minute.I propose a new law. If you file a suit and claim stupidly high damages, you are legally required to pay the difference in the resulting judgement and what you asked for. Should stop these money grubbing shitbags from asking for ludicrous amounts of money.[/citation]
It isn't stupidly high. Where do you think Facebook makes its money? Each account is worth a ridiculous amount of capital in sheer information.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
And this is why I don't use Facebook... I'm not willing to hand over all my personal information so someone else can make a huge profit off it, just so I can play farmville and chat with friends, something I can easily do in person.

v90k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Last i checked using this one website. My FB account is worth $435 dollars. Considering I have the most minimal info on there, I'm sure there are other users worth well over $5k.

v90k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Oh and btw if you haven't noticed, the "like" button is major money maker. Ever wonder why they didn't put a "dislike" button?

nuvon

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
For as much as I don't like Facebook, but I hate this kind of nonsense "getting rich" quick so called law suit even more. These greedy people just want to get rich quick. Man..I really hate these people!

tk1138

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
[citation][nom]nuvon[/nom]For as much as I don't like Facebook, but I hate this kind of nonsense "getting rich" quick so called law suit even more. These greedy people just want to get rich quick. Man..I really hate these people![/citation]

so if you dont like the "getting rich" quick...then you must also not like facebook since they got rich pretty quickly, and that is with out even a REAL product that they were selling....all while they steal users personal information and sell them to the govt/corporations...

gee sounds alot like the idiots at face book who make nothing of value who got rich fast, are just as bad

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah, 15 billion is a hard figure to swallow when a consumer sues a corporation, but a figure of millions is definitely not outrageous when the music companies sue a user.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Goody! I hate facebook and their invasion of my privacy too! Never know when my posts will pop up somewhere....i am eagerly waiiting for my 10K cheque in the mailbox....go go go!

testerguy

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Guys, this isn't about the information you submit on Facebook, such as your name, birthday, music, photos etc. This is about Facebook TRACKING you on the INTERNET on pages OTHER THAN FACEBOOK even after you've logged out.

When people sign up for Facebook they volunteer any information about themselves they choose, and so of course they can have no complaints about that information being held by Facebook. But nobody has signed up to having their web habits tracked even after they log out, and that's where Facebook stepped over the line.

thekanester

Honorable
May 21, 2012
@mengele88

Seriously? I guess your username says it all. You are seriously retarded, and by your own political affiliations should be put down.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I don't think lawsuits are enough and I don' mean in the amount of money being sued for.
If this case is won and no matter how much money is awarded, this means Facebook was not only found to have done wrong but possibly criminal acts as well. Why do we allow corporations to commit crimes and convict no one involved in the decision making process of committing said crime? If this was a individual we were talking this person would be getting slammed hard by the law. Is asking those and only those involved to be punished just like you and I would be asking too much?

[citation][nom]bhaberle[/nom]People will sue for everything these days. Don't use facebook if you have a problem. Problem solved greedy people.[/citation]

And what is your solution to those who did leave Facebook and yet Facebook still has private info on them? Or those effected long before these privacy issues were known to the public?
Class action lawsuits are rarely for greedy reasons as the money gets so divided that is usally equals out to a very lame amount. Instead class action lawsuits are known for being effective method to hit something hard when it has done damage to a massive amount of people. Like how Wal-Mart got sued for forcing people to work past their shift at night and literally locking them inside.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Sniff-test this one. If these lawyers are so immensely concerned about the well-being of their class-members' privacy, why did they wait until the day before the IPO to sue?

FB as a legal entity was a completely reasonable target of lawsuits before the IPO. But the lawyers would rather get their immense class-counsel fees (what's even 1% of $15B?) than put a stop to what they deem to be FB's illegal activity in a timely fashion.

I hope the judge takes the case, requests their research to-date, and summarily disbars (spelling?) them on the grounds of gross misrepresentation and unethical conduct. THAT would be popcorn-worthy!

jaquith

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Hey if you're dumb enough to put all your personal crap on Facebook what do you expect. Most folks are clueless how to use their privacy settings and/or read the EULA. I'm not a fanboy of Facebook, I 'get' it's appeal, but I am very VERY careful what I put out 'there' -- I TRUST NO ONE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.