Facebook Faces $15 Billion Class-Action Suit Over Privacy

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]um... you gave facebook all that information in the first place, i hardly see this as illegal activities. and also i believe only 4 states have wiretap laws where both parties have to consent to be VOCALLY recorded doesn't apply to anything else but voice, so yea... i cant see this going anywhere fast.[/citation]

As a previous poster mentioned, its not about the information you knowingly gave them, its about post logg off tracking. But since you touched the topic. There could also be a class action lawsuit for FB changing its terms related to users privacy, without allowing an opt-out. Deleting your account does not opt you out of the privacy changes, so they forced new rules on their users even if the users would rather delete the information that abide by the new changes, it was not allowed.

This was my biggest complaint about facebook. The tracking of users after they log off is easy enough to avoid.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
@cookoy: It's USA users only, AFAIK. Depends how the class is defined, but I presume that the different laws in different countries would make a multinational class-action lawsuit presided over by a US judge all but impossible.

I'm still irked by the timing. Here's why: before the IPO, the people responsible (MZ et. al) would have been the primary and only people hurt by the suit. Now, it's the shareholders who foot the bill. So these lawyers are trying to take money from the thousands of people who were conned into buying FB stock in the IPO, and transfer it to a small fraction of the FB userbase - and keep a lot of cash for themselves in the process.

For the record, I didn't buy any FB stock, and in fact am considering a protected short sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.