Facebook is Mass Surveillance, Says Free Software Founder

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Did Tom's remove the facebook "like" button as a result of this article? I notice it isn't at the top of the article with the other social networks anymore.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]dickcheney[/nom]''So you visit several pages that have ‘like’ button and Facebook knows that you visited all of those,''Nope, my NoScript doesnt allow it.[/citation]
AdBlockPlus also blocks facebook, and many other, pieces of crap.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Star72[/nom]Haha did you have to Google the name?[/citation]
i didnt know what it was a showing yout age comment, so i googled it, its more recent than i thought. [citation][nom]ivaroeines[/nom]The real scary thing is that the general public don't seem to care about being under 24/7 surveillance, when i discuss these subjects with my friends and family they all see me as a nutter for raising the issue. That you are filmed everywhere you go isn't a problem when you don't do anything bad, they seem to think that cameras everywhere prevent crime, i don't think that. When in a few years a research project find out that cameras don't prevent crimes and suggest that everyone have a body monitor with gps tracker operated into your body( some people actually have them already ), then for sure all crimes will be solved and hence crime rates are reduced. People will think that this is a good thing, when subversive and dangerous people like myself are arrested for speaking our minds, thats a good thing, when you love the wrong person you get arrested( a man may do the real bad thing as to fall in love with another man ) this is a good thing( newsflash: most countries frown upon gay people ). With a gps tracker you can not be gay, have different political views or be friends with people the government find subversive ( like Muslims ), the world do have a bright future.[/citation]

in general you are parinoid. as they have no way of sifting all the data they collect, and most if not all cameras are used as an after the fact type of deal.

if we do get gps trackers, it will be for dementia, Alzheimer patients, and small children, and possibly former inmates. if they force general public to get one, i want it in my left butt cheek so they can track every thrust.

and as for online tracking... i dont care, so long as they realize that any truly horrific site i find isnt because i was looking, but because i got sent an innocent looking link that takes me to a shock site, or worse thanks to 4chan.

atavax

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I always had a problem with people being prosecuted for ddos attacks... How they work is a ton of people go to a website and use its resources and only if a large enough number of people are protesting does it effect the performance of the website from servicing legitimate customers. Seems very similar to protesting outside of a brick and mortar store.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]I agree with his ideas, in general; however, he needs to put these in a more organized way, work a bit on his grammar, and do something about that look, 'cause...damn.He must work on his credibility on every aspect, not only on his ideology. This is an audio-visual era we live in, for crying out loud.[/citation]

If people are willing to judge his message simply on his looks than they are helpless to begin with.

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]in general you are parinoid. as they have no way of sifting all the data they collect, and most if not all cameras are used as an after the fact type of deal. if we do get gps trackers, it will be for dementia, Alzheimer patients, and small children, and possibly former inmates. if they force general public to get one, i want it in my left butt cheek so they can track every thrust. and as for online tracking... i dont care, so long as they realize that any truly horrific site i find isnt because i was looking, but because i got sent an innocent looking link that takes me to a shock site, or worse thanks to 4chan.[/citation]

I think you have the completely wrong attitude here. People can't say they don't care about their privacy because they have nothing to hide, that is just silly. It isn't about hiding anything... it is about your right to privacy. You have a RIGHT, not a privilege. You are not more secure or safe because of it. We all get subjected to ridiculous scans and gropings at the airport.... to protect us from terrorism. We are willing terrorized by our own government to protect us from what? Seriously, how stupid do you have to be to really be worried about terrorists killing you? Answer: extremely stupid. It isn't paranoia to question the government or it's motives, it is your duty as an American. It is your duty as a free, rational human being.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
It doesn't matter what you do anywhere on the internet... your IP is there, even through a proxy(although it will take a longer amount of time to get ur IP, but a warrant on ur Proxy/ISP provider can and will provide the IP)
Remember, the gov' particularly the FBI/CIA, can, and will find ur IP.....

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]It doesn't matter what you do anywhere on the internet... your IP is there, even through a proxy(although it will take a longer amount of time to get ur IP, but a warrant on ur Proxy/ISP provider can and will provide the IP)Remember, the gov' particularly the FBI/CIA, can, and will find ur IP.....[/citation]

Besides, 995 of the net population doesn't even know what a proxy or a MAC address is.
I see it with clients all the time; they have no idea when it comes to privacy etc.
Most think that calling yourself hotstuff349 will guarantee that nobody can track/find you.
it's a question of education people; and the industry has obviously no interest in telling!

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]It doesn't matter what you do anywhere on the internet... your IP is there, even through a proxy(although it will take a longer amount of time to get ur IP, but a warrant on ur Proxy/ISP provider can and will provide the IP)Remember, the gov' particularly the FBI/CIA, can, and will find ur IP.....[/citation]

No amount of warrants will give them your IP if you go through a log-less proxy provider based in a country hostile toward the US.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
[citation][nom]dickcheney[/nom]No amount of warrants will give them your IP if you go through a log-less proxy provider based in a country hostile toward the US.[/citation]

ROFL....

The "Ace in The Hole" is the CIA, that's why I mentioned it, them guys do whatever they want, whenever they want.... If they knowingly break laws while doing something, then they just pass the information that they gather to some other organization that will "legally" do whatever is needed..........

You think you got "privacy" because you went international?
Think again...

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Yeah I use Facebook sometimes, but they have absolutely no information about me that is true other than my ip address. I use Facebook to login to online papers and post comments. I am happy to say that I hate facebook only slightly less than iCrap-the-defrauder.

anonymous32111

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
[citation][nom]dickcheney[/nom]''So you visit several pages that have ‘like’ button and Facebook knows that you visited all of those,''Nope, my NoScript doesnt allow it.[/citation]

Thanks, downloaded the Firefox Extension immediately, nice little gem.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
signed up for Facebook, to 'friend' an IRL friend I lost contact with - to get his email addy to talk that way. Otherwise, don't care for facebook or twitter.

As has been pointed out, people are quite willing to give up data about them selves that they never would give up talking on a street with someone they barely knew. Oh well, legislating to protect the very stupid would only lead to an oppressive State...

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
[citation][nom]MDillenbeck[/nom]As has been pointed out, people are quite willing to give up data about them selves that they never would give up talking on a street with someone they barely knew. Oh well, legislating to protect the very stupid would only lead to an oppressive State...[/citation]

And look how many "consumer protection laws" we have...

Status
Not open for further replies.