Facebook Lets You Download Your Entire Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
First of all, I like having the ability to download your profile and look at it. This way, you can analyze exactly what personal information you have on your profile so you know what to get rid of/change. I think there should be a setting so you can download different versions of your profile, what your friends see and what is meant to be private to those that aren't your friends.

Secondly, they should've had the GROUPS feature YEARS ago. MySpace already had it, so I don't see why not. Of course I know MySpace is totally different, in that you just post on someone's profile, not to individual threads on someone's profile and there's no way to distinguish between different groups of friends, but you could at least use the feature to VIEW different groups.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Second comes the ability to download all of your Facebook activity to you computer. Everything you've ever posted on Facebook can now be downloaded as a zip file. This includes photos, status information, wall posts, and messages.
Well done Facebook! You just made a hacker/crackers life MUCH easier. It saves them having to manually copy stuff.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Well done Facebook! You just made a hacker/crackers life MUCH easier. It saves them having to manually copy stuff.[/citation]
ehh, i dont think hackers and crackers is the thing to worry about. the only thing to worry about is stupid people having another password to give out and blame other people for getting their data exploited. I've never once lost my account to a single hacker, simply because you can't really "hack" someones profile; you can only give your password out to the public. the idea of having everything downloaded into a zip file is kind of pointless i think. Its basically like filming yourself killing someone. no one witnesses it in the first place, but if the tape is found, its proof you did it. So whats the purpose of the tape? same as for the profile downloading..why would i want to relook through everything i've ever posted?

blasterth

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
Nice recycle. They gave access to the users to a functionality that was used before only in the backend to obtain all profile infos in one click, for some purpose that I don't want to think of.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Facebook sure offers a lot of convenient tools lately! Downloadable profiles will be great for government agencies and police forces to get everything you've ever said or shown on Facebook. And closed groups will be perfect for pedophile rings.

Keep up the good work!

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Groups are very useful. My Dad could care less about KoRn's latest video but some of my friends are all over it.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Facebook sure offers a lot of convenient tools lately! Downloadable profiles will be great for government agencies and police forces to get everything you've ever said or shown on Facebook. And closed groups will be perfect for pedophile rings.Keep up the good work![/citation]
exactly what i meant by my earlier comment, but you worded it better i guess because im getting thumbs down..lol

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Not long until a phishing attack surfaces that seeks to gain access to people's accounts, download their contents and then sell the data to third-party advertisers for profit.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]ehh, i dont think hackers and crackers is the thing to worry about. the only thing to worry about is stupid people having another password to give out and blame other people for getting their data exploited. I've never once lost my account to a single hacker, simply because you can't really "hack" someones profile; you can only give your password out to the public. the idea of having everything downloaded into a zip file is kind of pointless i think. Its basically like filming yourself killing someone. no one witnesses it in the first place, but if the tape is found, its proof you did it. So whats the purpose of the tape? same as for the profile downloading..why would i want to relook through everything i've ever posted?[/citation]
Hmm.. how about Law enforcement,etc? They too now have an easier time going through your stuff. Btw, having JUST a strong pass is not enough. There are MANY keyloggers out there. If you REALLY wanted to, it's pretty damn easy to install a key logger on to a PC at a cyber cafe, library,school PCs, etc. It only takes a little bit of know how. A good script kiddie could do it.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Hmm.. how about Law enforcement,etc? They too now have an easier time going through your stuff. Btw, having JUST a strong pass is not enough. There are MANY keyloggers out there. If you REALLY wanted to, it's pretty damn easy to install a key logger on to a PC at a cyber cafe, library,school PCs, etc. It only takes a little bit of know how. A good script kiddie could do it.[/citation]
really good point. I suppose this is why i choose to use my own computer with my own security software to prevent keyloggers from having a chance. not to mention i kind of find it common sense not to log in to things like my bank account on computers other than my own that are on my network.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
it's a tough balancing act: to be able to share and yet to still retain some privacy. i use FB to broadcast my life and email for more private messages to selected recipients.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]"Giving users back control". Control that should have never left the users hands.[/citation]
The users willingly relinquish controls in the first place. Just by joining facebook, you know what you're getting into.

Status
Not open for further replies.