Facebook May Go IPO on Wednesday

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
Most of these high-profile IPOs are not available to the casual investor anyway - they are usually reserved for corporations, banks & multimillionaires who buy big chunks of stock..

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]Don't invest in this. Within 3 years it will start to decline just like every other "networking" site in the pass has and be dead by the 2020. It's a not a stock worth the investment, although you could make a couple of bucks if you buy now and sell next year. It's a fad and fads die eventually.[/citation]
I got to disagree with you. Do you honestly think Zuckerberg made this a SNS site to "keep in touch with friends and family"? Facebook is a data mining website that grew to enormous proportions and data mining isn't a fad. It is the next trillion dollar industry. People who say "oh I don't make facebook account because I don't want my info online" doesn't understand that within the next 10 years, their info will be digital whether they like it or not. Everything is going to become "smart" and will scan you and mine data about you.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Actually I'm gonna buy this. I dislike facebook but I do like money and profit.

You wont be able to buy the IPO, but can pick it up later. Remember that in the event one of the PIIGS defaults on its sovereign debt, the markets in general will be hit and that you can pick up this company at a good price. I hate Facebook with a passion, but the truth is that it is alot better to park your money on some a rat like Suckerberg with all the msm hype about his brilliance than to give it to some bankster to gamble with and return you alot less than 1% interest rate in one year; and don't forget to factor in the near 2% official inflation number, which means that you will probably get negative interest... Hey, you gotta thank "genius" Bernanke for that.

So yeah I will pickup some shares when this trash goes public.

someoneelse

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
hmm estimate revenue of $4.26 billion - thats revenue NOT profit. I just don't see how that means the overall company is worth $75 to $100 billion.

If someone can come with a better social site or social networking sites diversify then it will be massively over valued.

However having said all that there's no denying that facebook's marketing is 2nd to none. NO ONE ever really questions it. Any criticism from the mainstream press is so muted it verges on pointless lipservice.

The difference between googles ads and facebooks ads is that google targets people directly looking for items ie I type in loan and get ads for loan companies. Facebook datamines peoples info and then guess's what people might like and pushes ads their way. which will win out remains to be seen but google seems to be better in my eyes.

can't afford shares so moot point.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]Sock jokes aside, this will mean more advertising injected everywhere, more stupid apps you can't block and more of your private information being sold. Once a company goes public, it's all down hill as they must increase profit by any means necessary.[/citation]
I was wondering how many sock jokes I'll have to read before someone actually hit the nail on the head. You are 100% correct. I have nothing to hide, so I'm not a "privacy" nut, but Facebook is one thing I never had and refuse to sign-up for a few reasons, one being that users can't even articulate how it can be that something that costs $0 to use, is somehow generating millions (billions?) in profits... It's not even so much privacy issues that should worry some, but the fact that your "social" life is being exploited to bombard you with targeted ads that generate you nill income. I consider it marketing vomit, and the joke's on you (Facebook users).

G

I think they have realized that SOPA and PIPA are going to burn their empire...............
Either way Facebook is a sinking ship.........about to go down now or then...................
We the people bought it where it is now and the same people are going to take it down............
Same thing happened with ORKUT...........

shmung

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I've always been curious about why Facebook has been worth so much i can see a company like Microsoft and apple being worth alot because they have physical products and patents that i can see things they could sell if needed but what does facebook have names of people their friends and random pages that they like?

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
[citation][nom]shmung[/nom]I've always been curious about why Facebook has been worth so much i can see a company like Microsoft and apple being worth alot because they have physical products and patents that i can see things they could sell if needed but what does facebook have names of people their friends and random pages that they like?[/citation]
Captive audience advertising. Pretty simple really. See Google.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
[citation][nom]shmung[/nom]I've always been curious about why Facebook has been worth so much i can see a company like Microsoft and apple being worth alot because they have physical products and patents that i can see things they could sell if needed but what does facebook have names of people their friends and random pages that they like?[/citation]

To be honest it really is the the dependence people have on it. It only works because of the number of people on it, it is easy to use and not childish. It is an easy way to be 'friends' with someone. Also the likely hood of it being replaced in small. Google +? How they get that number is a joke. People really are dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.