Facebook Now Reaches More than Half of All Internet Users

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
I wonder how many of those 845 million users are fake accounts? Back in the day when I had an account, I also created no less than 300 other accounts just so I could level up quickly in some of the games I played. Other people I know did the same... but alas, who has time anymore to waste on FB when I can interact with real people. I'm pretty sure I could create a script to post more creative and interesting things to say than 95% of the people on FB now.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]mrmaia[/nom]PS: I'm expressing my opinion, who are you to judge it?[/citation]
I'm expressing my opinion on your opinion. I also wonder what you're doing commenting on a tech forum while you should be working, training or meditating. Seems to me like your wasting your time.

ankaJ42

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
"The public data also states that Facebook reaches 50.6 percent of all Internet users." Does this mean that 49.4% of internet users have never gone to facebook.com? I really hate statistics, they always seem to say one thing but could easily mean something else. Am I reading this one correctly?

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]I'm expressing my opinion on your opinion. I also wonder what you're doing commenting on a tech forum while you should be working, training or meditating. Seems to me like your wasting your time.[/citation]

Reading about tech is good for my knowledge, and I spend seconds commenting. No waste of time here.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]mrmaia[/nom]Reading about tech is good for my knowledge, and I spend seconds commenting. No waste of time here.[/citation]
A waste of time is a waste of time and a few seconds is still an amount of time and you just wasted them commenting not once or twice or even three times, but SIX times. You really should stop wasting your time commenting and while you are at it you can stop wasting your time telling us your opinion on what you consider a waste of time.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]A waste of time is a waste of time and a few seconds is still an amount of time and you just wasted them commenting not once or twice or even three times, but SIX times. You really should stop wasting your time commenting and while you are at it you can stop wasting your time telling us your opinion on what you consider a waste of time.[/citation]
You know it's a good thing I don't consider commenting a waste of time cause if I did I would have wasted a lot of time there. But since I find commenting fun and fun keeps me happy and being happy is a HIGH priority for me I don't consider it a waste of time :)

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]mrmaia[/nom]Doing nothing to improve wealth, health (be it mind or body health) or knowledge = waste of time. Answering your question, I think it depends on what's the subject of the book/TV show. Video games are always waste of time unless you win money on it. Social networks serve to the only purpose of self-exposing.PS: I'm expressing my opinion, who are you to judge it?[/citation]
Furthermore, I'd like to add that Facebook is not only about mirror self-shots and lolcats. The people I know (to avoid the word "friends") often post links to intelligent videos and articles that I might not have stumbled upon otherwise. I think it's a matter of who you hang out with, and it's your choice to follow what they post or not.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]mrmaia[/nom]No, not true... With Google, I don't really see any other use but being redirected to other sites with relevant content - and Google is really the best at this, be it with their privacy intrusion or not.[/citation]
See you are presenting opinion as fact, you say it is the best but other people would say Bing is better, it only takes one person to do so and it is subjective
It may be better for you, but you don't represent the opinion of the world, just agree that you like it and we will all be happy for you
Oh, and Google is syonymous now not just because of being a search engine but because it is everywhere, Android, Maps, Earth, Streetview, Gmail, Youtube, Picassa, Chrome, GoogleTV - and those are just the most memorable - then almost every bit of freeware tries to bundle the toolbar
So back to topic, Facebook, exactly the same, you may hate or think it is crap, but if someone in a crowded room says "social networking" the first word that pops into everybody head is Facebook, everytime - even though there are at least 13 other sites that have more than 100 million members - who has ever heard of Habbo? Twice as many members as Google+
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_social_networking_websites

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
[citation][nom]mrmaia[/nom]Doing nothing to improve wealth, health (be it mind or body health) or knowledge = waste of time. Answering your question, I think it depends on what's the subject of the book/TV show. Video games are always waste of time unless you win money on it. Social networks serve to the only purpose of self-exposing.PS: I'm expressing my opinion, who are you to judge it?[/citation]

Facebook can absolutely impove wealth, health and knowledge.
You must have missed that FB is greatly used as an "information hub". Most businesses have a facebook page where they post the latest information of the proucts/services. That thing alone anwers your wealth (for companies or even single persons. An artist can also use facebook to promote himself).
When it comes to health it is the same thing. A lot of health professionals have facebook pages. Personal trainers answers directly to questions about specific subjects and so on.

You have to face it that facebook is another big information souirce just as youtube have become (with video tutorials, courses and so on)..

Yes, people can just use it to write about personal stuff in their lifes, but is that worse than passiveley watching soap operas on TV? I mean, at least a person has to express himself improving his writing skills and it is more social than just watching tv alone.

And even google can be used just for not health/weatlh/knowloedge related searches. As many other services on the internet.
With your reasoning you should just as well not use internet at all!

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]in_the_loop[/nom]Facebook can absolutely impove wealth, health and knowledge.You must have missed that FB is greatly used as an "information hub". Most businesses have a facebook page where they post the latest information of the proucts/services. That thing alone anwers your wealth (for companies or even single persons. An artist can also use facebook to promote himself). When it comes to health it is the same thing. A lot of health professionals have facebook pages. Personal trainers answers directly to questions about specific subjects and so on.You have to face it that facebook is another big information souirce just as youtube have become (with video tutorials, courses and so on)..Yes, people can just use it to write about personal stuff in their lifes, but is that worse than passiveley watching soap operas on TV? I mean, at least a person has to express himself improving his writing skills and it is more social than just watching tv alone. And even google can be used just for not health/weatlh/knowloedge related searches. As many other services on the internet. With your reasoning you should just as well not use internet at all![/citation]

I'm not going to get in a big debate ... but I will add my 2 cents. "Social Media" is anything but what the name implies. Sitting in front of your computer talking with "friends" is anything but social. In fact, I think social media is actually having the opposite affect, and creating a bunch of anti-social, lazy, socially awkward kids (read: not everyone, that's not a blanket statement). You can argue all day about the positives about it, but at the end of the day it is replacing face-to-face conversations, getting outside, and real social interaction. This is really important, especially for younger kids.

I'm not saying it's all bad, but I really do worry for the younger generations. Also, you seem to be ignoring the fact that millions of people are divulging very personal information everyday on Facebook. Do you really trust Facebook with all that personal info? Read my comment above and think about it. If they were on the brink of going under, no doubt they would sell all this mined data to the highest bidder, regardless of ethics. And if a government agency came forward and demanded information, they would hand it over in a millisecond. FB may not be the antichrist, but let's not kid ourselves that it's all good either.

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
you cannot believe these numbers.. i have a friend who has 3 different facebook accounts, 2 of them he doesent log into anylonger, but i have several friends who play facebook games, and they made multiple accounts so they have more "in game friends" as many of the games say you need this number of friends to do (blank)"
so alot of users have multiple accounts,,
what about all the accounts that are advertising robots?
quite often i find some sexy stranger i dont know asking to be my friend..

zloginet

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
[citation][nom]aidynphoenix[/nom]you cannot believe these numbers.. i have a friend who has 3 different facebook accounts, 2 of them he doesent log into anylonger, but i have several friends who play facebook games, and they made multiple accounts so they have more "in game friends" as many of the games say you need this number of friends to do (blank)" so alot of users have multiple accounts,, what about all the accounts that are advertising robots? quite often i find some sexy stranger i dont know asking to be my friend..[/citation]

They are super hot to hey... lol

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
people went to Facebook because it was "NEW"
people like me haven't gone to twitter, because it sounds like another word for vagina.

Status
Not open for further replies.