Facebook Privacy and Security Discussion Thread

jsimenhoff

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
7DXPgLS.jpg

Well, the cat's out of the bag! Your privacy on Facebook is hard to secure. Even the most vaunted security experts have a tough time locking down their data.

This discussion thread seeks to collect privacy and security tips from our members and inform the community at large. If you have any suggestions on how to lock down your data, secure your browsers, or just want to talk about the latest news regarding Facebook and Internet security,

To start off the discussion here are a few of our stand out tutorials for Facebook Privacy and Security:

Blocking Bandwith Killers and Social Media Sites (SnapChat, Facebook)

Opt Out Of Facebook Tracking Your Browsing History

Customizing Facebook Privacy Settings and Permissions

How to Delete Your Facebook Account Permanently

How to Clear Facebook Search History

USAFRet

Illustrious
The cat was never in the bag.
Privacy on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/Snapchat/whatever was always a myth.

This 'exploit' was simply exposing the connections between you and other users.
Those connections are a big part of what Facebook is.

You can lock your settings as much as you want. Until the next time they do some 'upgrade', and those settings are magically changed.

The only way to remain private in the facebook world is to not use it, and have no meatspace friends that use it.

jsimenhoff

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016

Are there any browser extensions/best methods to avoid the cookie trackers on Facebook? Any way to wall yourself off from their networks completely?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Unsure.
You could delve into your HOSTS file, but every site seemingly has an option to log in with FB. Go to a site like that, and and your travels are tracked.
Even without a FB account, they know you.

And for your friends? Hope they don't take any pics at the bar and tag you in them.

leer1763

Prominent
Jan 28, 2018
I wonder if anyone ever thought about how it is that FB is able to "find friends" for you as soon as you sign up? No one ever surmised that trackers where bieng used not just on FB itself, but FB also has them on just about every other website in existence? (including THIS ONE!)
The only solution is NOT TO USE IT!!!!

Apr 19, 2018
As proved by recent scandals Facebook is not secure anymore and it keeps selling your personal data to different platforms.

ahs89

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
No social media platform is secure as we think it is. All information is collected and shared among digital agencies so that they can market their desired products.

ahs89

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
Every social media platform shares your private information with a big name(companies). With share I mean the information is mined and sold against the huge sum of the amount which is later used for target marketing purpose.

jsimenhoff

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016

Is there any way to limit the amount of information you share with the social media platforms? Are there extensions to stop them from tracking your browsing activity across different sites?

USAFRet

Illustrious

The only way to "limit" it is to not put it out there in the first place.

For instance...
If you're on vacation, and take a pic at the little restaurant on the beach. Don't even write where it is exactly.
That pic will be cross referenced with other peoples pics, that DO identify exactly which restaurant it is.
Resulting in - "Johnny5 was at Joe's Crab Shak", with a degree of certainty of 98.5%.

Only way to prevent that is to not upload that pic.

Graybush

Estimable
I'm using F.B. Purity on my social media account personally. It's an extension you can download and it's got some deep customization options for feeds and helps hides suggestions and other ad-based bits that like to crop up. No, stop suggesting me to friend people that I've never met but are friended with my friends.

The best part? I can finally set my feed to 'most recent' PERMANENTLY.