Facebook Shares Taking Dive in Early Morning Trading

Status
Not open for further replies.

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
This was way overpriced from the get go. To bring them in line with google, price should be around 1/5 so look for a target price around $7.60.

But realistically they should be selling at a discount to google since when google IPOd they sold at a p/e of 10. If FB was held to the same standard they should have IPOd at $3.80. only 1/10 as many shares.

This turd has just begun to circle it's way down the toilet.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Did Zuckerberg do something to tick off GM, that they made that ever-so-ill-timed bailout from Facebook?

Honestly, I don't understand the revenue model for Facebook either. The advertising doesn't work so well, and without dealing with questionably ethical, (and potentially illegal) practices in their data-mining, I don't know how they can bring in money. If that is the case, I think investors have woken up to the fact that Facebook looks like a bubble waiting to burst...

Facebook waited WAY too long to go public.They could have gotten MUCH more money had they done this a year or two ago...

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Did Zuckerberg do something to tick off GM, that they made that ever-so-ill-timed bailout from Facebook?Honestly, I don't understand the revenue model for Facebook either. The advertising doesn't work so well, and without dealing with questionably ethical, (and potentially illegal) practices in their data-mining, I don't know how they can bring in money. If that is the case, I think investors have woken up to the fact that Facebook looks like a bubble waiting to burst...Facebook waited WAY too long to go public.They could have gotten MUCH more money had they done this a year or two ago...[/citation]
92% or more of facebook money come from illegally sold information. just what you stated in your post. They advertisement system only work partially when you are logged in facebook and using a browser and even there does not work properly or doesn't work at all, so they cant claim that half of their income come from there. 92% of their revenue come from market researched or 3rd, 4rd, 5th party company buying their demographics and statistic data, while other just buying the contact info to spam you as a potentially new customer.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
100 Billion Dollar market cap was completely absurd for a company with about 4 billion revenue per year and an uncertain future.

Nobody can tell me Facebook is going to keep it's monopoly status forever. In 5-10years it might be just as worthless as MySpace.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
$16 billion?
Heh... I don't know how much they have in assets but I know they make a lot of income on advertising. But I think $16 billion is a streach. I would NOT buy that stock.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Did Zuckerberg do something to tick off GM, .... I don't understand the revenue model for Facebook either. ....[/citation]

I understand their revenue model perfectly. It goes something like this.

Make next big internet sensation. Sell out to big investors ($16B IPO), burn company to the ground, laugh at wall street.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
People are really negative on this company. And to an extent I understand. But realistically it gets more people involved than CBS or NBC.

CNBC sold for almost 3 billion dollars............ talk about overpriced.

Its just a matter of figuring out how to make money off those people in a reliable manner. If they can do that, its well worth the asking price.

I think the price is being driven down but will be ran back up.

Anyway, I've got to go check FB just like all of you.

Stanks

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
The Facebook IPO launched at $104 billion. The article incorrectly states $16 billion. Facebook launched with a profit to earnings ratio of more than 100 to 1 based on 2011 data. Most companies launch with a P/E of 10/1, or if they're lucky, 15/1.

My biggest concern is a publicly traded company yields profits for its investors. Facebook's commodity is personal information. How do they plan to give investors a possitve return?

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]People are really negative on this company. And to an extent I understand. But realistically it gets more people involved than CBS or NBC. CNBC sold for almost 3 billion dollars............ talk about overpriced.Its just a matter of figuring out how to make money off those people in a reliable manner. If they can do that, its well worth the asking price. I think the price is being driven down but will be ran back up. Anyway, I've got to go check FB just like all of you.[/citation]
Well I'm very happy to say I do NOT and never will have a Facebook account. Some of us knew better from the get go and were just waiting for others to understand how they are giving up way to much info.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Quoted from Jim Clark's "NetScape Time" autobiography;

"When setting an IPO, you want to put the price just right. Not too high, which will deter investors, and not too low, which will spur an unwanted rush".

aevm

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
[citation][nom]Stanks[/nom]The Facebook IPO launched at $104 billion. The article incorrectly states $16 billion. Facebook launched with a profit to earnings ratio of more than 100 to 1 based on 2011 data. Most companies launch with a P/E of 10/1, or if they're lucky, 15/1.My biggest concern is a publicly traded company yields profits for its investors. Facebook's commodity is personal information. How do they plan to give investors a possitve return?[/citation]

The article states "$16 billion IPO". That's correct. They claimed the company was worth $104 billion, then offered about 16% of it for $16 billion.

Personally, I don't think Facebook is the center of the Internet. I've been happily using the Internet since 1994 and never visited a Facebook page. Why would I want to become a product they can sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.