Facebook to Build New $240 Million Data Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferelden

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
the big secret is that they are selling massive amounts of info to private parties covertly. for a free service they really arent generating as much money as people think just off advertising. they have black revenue streams

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
"Technology developed by Facebook"? Datacenters consume less power because their CPU's had a few die shrinks, power gating and other architecture enhancements, they use 80+ and even 90+ (platinum) PSU's and other things like that. Since when does Facebook develop hardware?

Or is it is software optimalisation in Facbook Server OS? Oh wait...

I really dislike Facebook. Its owners seem to be under the impression they actually deliver an innovative product, while all they made is a useless gimmick that's bad for your privacy.

skyline100

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]"Technology developed by Facebook"? Datacenters consume less power because their CPU's had a few die shrinks, power gating and other architecture enhancements, they use 80+ and even 90+ (platinum) PSU's and other things like that. Since when does Facebook develop hardware?Or is it is software optimalisation in Facbook Server OS? Oh wait...I really dislike Facebook. Its owners seem to be under the impression they actually deliver an innovative product, while all they made is a useless gimmick that's bad for your privacy.[/citation]

truly agree about the privacy issue of facebook.

onyx_64

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]Its owners seem to be under the impression they actually deliver an innovative product, while all they made is a useless gimmick that's bad for your privacy.[/citation]

Lets all remind ourselves once more that any data posted online is "public". nothing is secure.. whether its google, or facebook or anything else. If we really want the info to be 'private' then, dont post it at all.
Everything has its own evils.
Can live without online social networking? - Good for you!

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]onyx_64[/nom]Lets all remind ourselves once more that any data posted online is "public". nothing is secure.. whether its google, or facebook or anything else. If we really want the info to be 'private' then, dont post it at all.Everything has its own evils. Can live without online social networking? - Good for you![/citation]

Not all data posted online is public. Most companies require very little private info or handle it more carefully.

And yup, that's exactly what I do. I don't use social networking, so I don't need to worry about my data. And that last question is ridiculous. Everyone can live without social networking. I have friends, I see them in real life and I use email, IM and a mobile phone to communicate with them when we can't/don't need to meet face to face. So why do you need to use a service that fails to respect your privacy?

G

Facebook deserves to be completely shut down. I hate it with a passion.

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
So $3.5m bribe for google to block facebook and $240m Facebook investment in new data centre's = no comprehende.

Why not just bribe google with $10m and both sides win + buy data centre resources from google so can legally hang google by the b*lls.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]liveonc[/nom]So many computers, can't resist urged to ask! "But can it run Crysis?"[/citation]No, it can't. But it will definitely play farmville and f**k up your personal life!

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]"Technology developed by Facebook"? Datacenters consume less power because their CPU's had a few die shrinks, power gating and other architecture enhancements, they use 80+ and even 90+ (platinum) PSU's and other things like that. Since when does Facebook develop hardware?Or is it is software optimalisation in Facbook Server OS? Oh wait...I really dislike Facebook. Its owners seem to be under the impression they actually deliver an innovative product, while all they made is a useless gimmick that's bad for your privacy.[/citation]

Imagine all the power they are saving by not implementing any data-encryption or privacy measures? So much CPU power saved. See?! They ARE innovating! How green.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
don't bash Facebook, its a great way to keep in touch with friends and family, hate the people that
A.don't use common sense and post things they shouldn't.
B.spend too much time on it
C.friend too many people and have their privacy set too low so everyone in the world can see everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.