Facebook User Sues Zynga Over Privacy Breach

Status
Not open for further replies.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
As many people enjoy these games, I hope they get their clocked cleaned. Getting the Data of the PLAYER is one thing - because they agreed to give it to them. Getting the data of "friends" who did NOT agree to it - jail time IMO.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I'm really tired of hearing about crap like this. Look, if you put yourself out there on the Internet, you have to accept a degree of publicity. If you want to play all of the cool Facebook games, you can do so without having to put every banal detail of your life online (and then complain later that your privacy has been violated).

As for our representatives in Congress...
The lawsuit follows Tuesday's report that two House members--U.S. Reps. Edward Markey (D., Mass.) and Joe Barton (R., Texas)--sent Facebook Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg a letter requesting additional information on how third-party applications collect user data.
Zuckerberg should respond, "Why, you wouldn't understand it anyway, and you've already decided we're guilty."

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
"A Facebook spokesperson said on Tuesday that the suggestion of passing user IDs to an application--as described in Facebook's privacy policy--constitutes as a breach was 'curious at best," however the company looked forward to working with the government officials."

This sentence makes no grammatical sense at all. I think what is meant by this is:
A Facebook spokesperson said on Tuesday that whether passing user IDs to an application--as described in Facebook's privacy policy--constitutes a breach was 'curious at best," however the company looked forward to working with the government officials.

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
THe whole point of facebook was to has "no real privacy" between its members, so you can post pictures online, sell yourself and hopefully get laid...

Any bragging about online privacy bridges confirms Facebook user's stupidity...

While you are at it and already posting your personal life information, why dont you also post your credit card information too, so you have it handy :)?

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Passing a userID is one thing, and obviously might be necessary, but if someone used that userID to harvest additional information like friends' information, particularly for the odious purpose of irritating them with advertising, then that's deliberate wrongdoing, and someone should be put down for it and/or their company liquidated. GAME OVER.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Meh, you have all kinds of personal information available on the Internet...it will go where you don't want it to go. Simple as that. This crap happens allllllllllllllllllll the time!

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
facebook TOS states that any and all information user provides is property of facebook FOREVER.
learn to read the end user lisc agreement before clicking okay buttons.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Didn't Zynga get into big trouble not long ago for bait-and-switch adn other scams regarding their advertising partnerships? Didn't they use to run that scam about obtaining free stuff just by signing up for a "free" trial membership at one of their partners. you know, the free trial membership that lasts for 3 days then auto-bills at $19.95 a month and didn't provide any method of opting-out or canceling, and even if you did cancel, they kept billing you.

Wasn't that Zynga?

And p.s. Tom's: If I can find all these annoying spammer messages in the 5-10 news articles posted a day, couldn't you guys hire an intern to monitor and remove these things just as easily? Heck, I'm available.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Didn't Zynga get into big trouble not long ago for bait-and-switch adn other scams regarding their advertising partnerships? Didn't they use to run that scam about obtaining free stuff just by signing up for a "free" trial membership at one of their partners. you know, the free trial membership that lasts for 3 days then auto-bills at $19.95 a month and didn't provide any method of opting-out or canceling, and even if you did cancel, they kept billing you.Wasn't that Zynga?And p.s. Tom's: If I can find all these annoying spammer messages in the 5-10 news articles posted a day, couldn't you guys hire an intern to monitor and remove these things just as easily? Heck, I'm available.[/citation]
An even better solution to these spammer a-holes would be to give several of us TH regulars the ability to mark a post for deletion, with the express understanding that it only be used to expunge the spammer posts. The messages could be removed from view without actually deleting them so one of the TH admins can make certain the marked messages are only spam. If a user marks a non-spam message for deletion, that user would then lose that ability.

If the spammers' messages were being removed almost immediately after posting, maybe they would get the point and piss off once and for all.

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
How do you think Zuckerberg got facebook so popular, by stealing Harvard's private clubs members usernames and emails and than spamming them with requests to join the facebook. I remember when I got my first email to join facebook at Stanford, I wish I kept the email instead of trashing it. Suppose to be hangout place for only exclusive students, no adds, no stupid games, and popups that overflowed myspace... ugh.. look at the irony... now facebook has become the crap that Zuckerberg claimed not to be. The point is that he got the critical mass to make this successful. Once you achieve that, than users just join by hearing it from a friend or seeing it on TV... Oh well good for him, he is one filthy rich nerd with no true friends... but I guess doesnt matter much when you have $5 billion

G

i agree they should be sued for that
i think it should also be illegal for them to make users "pay" for certain "special items" in the games, since they have become so addictive that people will actually pay to get these "special items". FarmVille and Mafia Wars are especially guilty of this. Not to mention to do half the shit in these games, they require the user to post messages to their "friends" spaces on facebook or request their friends to be "neighbors", that's bullshit too. What if they have no friends?

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]As for our representatives in Congress...Zuckerberg should respond, "Why, you wouldn't understand it anyway, and you've already decided we're guilty."[/citation]
Well then, if he did, he'd deserve everything he got from Congress... Because he's not above the law.

The problem is that he's taking information not just from those who AGREED, but those who DIDN'T agree. In case you've forgotten, FaceBook, as well as its aps, claim to protect privacy. If they don't hold up that promise, that's breaking the law.

[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]facebook TOS states that any and all information user provides is property of facebook FOREVER.learn to read the end user lisc agreement before clicking okay buttons.[/citation]
Er, except that this isn't about FaceBook itself: it's about Zynga. They do NOT have the same TOS.

Similarly, they are extracting information from people that did NOT agree to Zynga's own collection; i.e, those not playing FarmVille. Snagging info that's supposed to be private (even if in someone else's hands) without permission? That's theft!

[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]An even better solution to these spammer a-holes would be to give several of us TH regulars the ability to mark a post for deletion, with the express understanding that it only be used to expunge the spammer posts.[/citation]
We technically already do have that sort of ability: it's that red "thumbs down" button. Five people click it, and the post gets hidden from everyone's sight by default. Plus, the moderators tend to be relatively responsive to delete comments I've reported; usually it only takes an hour or two tops; typically before the next comment gets posted.

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
this crooky company should of been banned long ago because of spyware.
Goverment need to put their pants on and closes those crooks.

Adds targeting under age kids, privacy breach, spyware malware....

rasagul

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
I'm sorry if you go on something like Facebook and then sue for violation of privacy I should then be able to sue you not only for
wasting my time but also for taking oxygen from someone who could obviously put it to better use I swear by the four balls of Jesus Mary and Joseph Humankind is going to end up like that spaceship full of people in Wall-E

Status
Not open for further replies.