Facebook Valued at $70 Billion

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mb2bm55

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]soo, the only thing they do is data mine? people willingly give up every tid-bit about themselves, just so a website can turn a profit? in today's world information>$... i don't have facebook because i don't want to take part in handing over my info just so they can turn my profile into $...[/citation]

really dude? Why be this pessimistic? Im not necessarily a fan of facebook nor do I particularily like or care about the direction its taking our culture but It is tool for more efficient distribution of economic information among the consumers and gives the market better access to the individual consumers deeper than vanilla demographics. This is good for making the economy more complex because consumers become more knowledgeable about their options. This in turn allows manufacturers measure economic demand more accurately as well as to make more highly specified products for niche markets that were relatively unknown previously. It provides, if I may coin an adhoc term, 'information liquidity' by exposing unknown niche markets and thereby allowing smaller manufacturers to achieve much greater economies of scale.

So yes, Facebook wouldnt be valued at $70 billion if it didn't provide something of economic value, which is exactly what feeds people and pays for research. Geez.

mb2bm55

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
[citation][nom]SpadeM[/nom]70 bilion for a company that in the end doesn't help feed u, shelter u or provide anything of real value to humans. They're basically not producing anything palpable or of worth yet they're valued at that inflated sum ... almost seems like we're back in 2008 when property value was waaay high and then it all came crumbling down.[/citation]

Edit: accidentally quoted wrong post :(

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]SpadeM[/nom]70 bilion for a company that in the end doesn't help feed u, shelter u or provide anything of real value to humans. They're basically not producing anything palpable or of worth yet they're valued at that inflated sum ... almost seems like we're back in 2008 when property value was waaay high and then it all came crumbling down.[/citation]

Don't worry. I'm sure Capital Hill can find a use for it, under the Patriot Act. Ask Microsoft about that.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation]Once a billion people are on Facebook and it starts to push more services all it needs to do is gently nudge in a particular direction and it could bulldozer through anyone, lets just hope they don't go "APPLE"[/citation]

...fixed.

secretxax

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
LOL!

Soo... are we all in or out? I mean the organizing of a group that burns down those Facebook headquarters... WELL?

someoneelse

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
I'm sorry $700 BN for a company that has revenue ( not even profit ) of $2 BN

(source wikipedia ; bloomberg)

Facebook may have already stagnated. How many new users are they getting now vs leavers? It just takes someone with a better product to come along and Facebook are the next my space.
Verdict - over hyped stock and overvalued. Reality is going to loose a lot of people money.

Status
Not open for further replies.