Facebook Wants Free Speech Protection for 'Like' Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Just another reason to either 1) stay the hell away from FB, or 2) have a fake FB account with enough fake/spam email account layers to be nearly impossible to trace to a real person without IP investigations (and then there are ways to IP cloak too when setting up all of the above, but that's another story).

santeana

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2003
Heh... never thought I'd ever agree with FB on anything.... but I kinda do on this one. And those guys should never have been fired. I can't believe that was thrown out!
"What? You don't like me? Ok, go look for work elsewhere, you're fired!"
Would that not come under wrongful dismissal in any other job?

unksol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
REALLY josh? This has nothing to do with copyright. This is about Facebook argueing your boss can't fire you for disagreeing with his political beliefs. It's stupid we even have to have the discussion.
There's always more to it though. If you and your boss don't get along and you're constantly in conflict or disregarding instructions you CAN be fired. and lets face it, if you want your boss fired you have to disagree with what he's doing. But if they weren't expressing it or causing issues in the workplace the SHERIFF needs canned.
For all we know they were fired for in-subordination in the work place and are arguing over Facebook likes. You never get the full story from the media. They just wasn't your attention.

TheCapulet

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
It's already protected by Free speech. Just because some judge makes an illegal ruling, it doesn't mean our First Amendment is null and void.

TheCapulet

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
It's already protected by Free speech. Just because some judge makes an illegal ruling, it doesn't mean our First Amendment is null and void.

thefiend1

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Facebook has no business arguing about "Free Speech" when they choose to shut down politicially based Facebook Pages of its choice.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
The funny thing, is that it doesn't matter if he fired them for clicking "like" on facebook, Virginia is an "At will" employment state. Because the like button had no legal precedence to be protected speech when they were fired, the sheriff was not in the wrong.
Heck he could have fired them for voting for Obama, being gay, being strait, being too fat, thin, tall, short, having an ugly face, etc...
Race, Religion, Gender, Age, Military status, or disabled status are the only protected ones for discrimination. In an "at will" state you can be fired for anything other than those 6 items.

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
So, let me get this straight. Clicking 'Like' (according to Robert's attorney) is like opening a door. So those that got fired, were fired for the equivalent of "opening a door into a room". Good luck with that argument. {me looks around while leaving work to make sure no one is watching}.

softplacetoland

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
So, Facebook which jeopardise your privacy all day long so suddenly care for your rights to speak freely? Hmmm .... there are no room for distrust, I believe :] Facebook still counts and read words in your books. Something you SHOULD belive is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.